Advice on new purchase

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
GourmetJoe

Advice on new purchase

Post by GourmetJoe »

G'day folks,

Happy to have chanced upon this forum, and looking forward to hours of knowledge exchange within such an experienced community.
Currently have an old Turbo 4-burner gas BBQ (rusting) and charcoal Weber but thinking of putting in an outdoor kitchen. Want to get stuff that's going to last for the next 20 years!

At this stage, I'm thinking to invest in a gas BBQ and Kamado Joe (both, preferably, build in).

Have done some due diligence and have noticed that Weber is widely regarded as the pinnacle of gas BBQs. However, what amazes me is the lack of a price point midway between the Family Q and Summit?!?

Will the Summit justify the expense, considering I will also have the Kamado Joe and Weber kettle, or will it make more sense to go for the in-built Q?
My other option is to get the Weber Genesis E-330 and position it to the one side of the outdoor kitchen rather than actually having a built-in gasser. How does this idea stack up against the Q and Summit?

My only concern about the Q is less versatility (in terms of indirect heating etc.) compared to the Summit or Genesis and a 5-year warranty compared to the 10-year one.

It seems the Barbeques Galore Ziegler & Brown brand as well as others, such as Beefeater Signature and Masport Ambassador Deluxe, cater for the midpoint market much better than Weber, just don't know whether product quality, warranty and after-sales service will disappoint compared to Weber.
Any comments, ideas, experience, advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Mainey . . .

Re: Advice on new purchase

Post by Mainey . . . »

:mrgreen:

I can assure you Weber will back their product 100% to the max and no questions are asked as to htf did that happen 8)

and yep I know that from my own personal experience too, and admit if it was anyone else they would have probably asked for a written statement in triplicate, certified by a Supreme Court Judge and Jury too :lol:

Try and get that type of customer assistance & satisfaction from any another manufacturer or distributor :roll:
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Sounds like you want a quality BBQ and Weber and Kamado Joe are two good brands.

If money was no object go for the Big Joe Kamado. You will appreciate the flexibility the extra size give you over the Kamado Joe Classic. Make sure you get the new model. It far superior to the older model.

Below is a summary of the new Classic to give you an idea.

Let's think about gas.

Weber is an excellent start.

eg Summit vs Q

Depending on what you do both can cost you quite a bit built-in. Both are good options but things like price difference and what you want to do with your money. eg you can buy a lot of premium cut steaks between the two models. Does it makes sense spending all that money on the Kamado and Gas BBQ if you spend all your money on the BBQs and you buy cheap cuts of meat on them? If you can afford to buy an expensive set-up and good meat to go on it go for the expensive option as it would probably suit your lifestyle.

BTW If you buy a cheap 4 burner from Bunnings and some grills grates from BBQG, if you aren't worried about brand names will make a you a fine steak for dinner.

Here's something else to think about. If you have a look at the Kamado threads you will find that people who have a gasser and a Kamado end up using the gasser very little eg. for the odd sanger and spend most of their time cooking on the Kamado. One guy ended up using his gasser as a plant holder he used it so little.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

When you say a Mid price point between the Weber Q and Summit, you already mentioned the genesis E330 which is pretty much the mid price point.
At around $1600 or there abouts + $200 if you want nat gas model, The Genesis rock and the fact that you'll have a Komado and kettle as well, unless you're feeding an army, the Genesis will do you well. The thing about Webers is that they are designed to use ALL the available grill real estate without the major issues with hotspots etc.The Summits are around late $4-5.3 K's these days pending on model.
Many top of the range grills will set you back this kind of money these days but NONE are designed to Grill at high heat with the lid down and that's where the flavour lies..under the lid.
As Mainey pointed out, the back up and service for Webers are 2nd to none...lots of companies can learn from them.

I guess it depends on how much you wish to spend/invest in your outdoor cooking pursuits, how you like to cook, for how many on a regular basis. The Weber Q3200 is worth looking at too, they get very hot and do a great job at pretty much anything, the only difference is that for indirect cooking requires a different set up for indirect than the usual 3 or 4 burner types. I get awesome crackling and great pizzas from my Q320.(mine is an older model than the newer ones)

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
GourmetJoe

Post by GourmetJoe »

Thanks for the feedback! Food for thought...
Matt79

Post by Matt79 »

Hello,

I am currently deciding what BBQ to buy, have looked the Weber Genesis E330 and now come across the Ziegler and Brown Turbo classic 4 burner with the side burner and RQT burners under the grill.

What do you think? Does anyone own a Ziegler and Brown Classic Turbo 4 burner?
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

What do you cook?
How often?
and for how many people?
chilling while grilling
Matt79

Post by Matt79 »

I would cook a typical BBQ being steaks, sausages, chops etc and potatoes, corn etc

Am now leaning forward the Ziegler turbo classic 4 burner with side burner.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

GourmetJoe wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm Thanks for the feedback! Food for thought...
Just chanced upon this thread... @Gourmet Joe:- What did you end up buying?

Too late for me to contribute I guess but I was looking for ages and found that the Genesis 2 is available in a 4 burner. (I am pretty sure the old genesis was only available in three burner) Thus, for me ... the new Genesis was a better bridge between the old Gen and the Summit - which was too expensise for me. Hence, I landed on the new Genesis 2 4 burner.
Powderdigit