Replacing the Q300?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
beginner

Replacing the Q300?

Post by beginner »

Another summer and I'm considering this again. I do really like it, good on fuel, does great roasts and has just the right amount of cooking space. It also takes up just the right amount of space, fits in a good spot without the side tables deployed, the arms are of course fixed though and I guess are wasting a little space but I don't really need a bigger cooking area. I also find it very easy to clean.

Problem I have with it is not enough heat to sear or blast - so steaks go on the griddle for searing, pork and chook goes in the oven for crackling / crisping. I looked briefly into the bugg and ziggy but they seem a bit small and although it sounds like they get hotter than the Q they seem to struggle to achieve the lower temps.

Is there anything out there that would be more versatile than the Q given the space constraints?
lockyer

Re: Replacing the Q300?

Post by lockyer »

If you wish to stay with gas, then I doubt you will find better in that size area/range. But if you wish to use charcoal/briquette's and that's a different ball park.
I have the room so have gas/charcoal etc bbq's

Cheers L
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Hi Beginner
You have a problem with your Q temps. Unforunately the Q300 does not have a Temp Gauge. You need the services of a Weber Technician to fault diagnose the problem. There are a small amout of Qs that have this problem and it can be caused by a variety of things, thats why I say youi need a Weber Technician. You can call Weber and arrange for a Tech to call in on you, Thats what I would do first before thinking about swaping.

The Q is King
beginner

Post by beginner »

lockyer wrote:If you wish to stay with gas, then I doubt you will find better in that size area/range. But if you wish to use charcoal/briquette's and that's a different ball park.
I have the room so have gas/charcoal etc bbq's

Cheers L
Yeah this is just as a gasser replacement, only got a balcony to work with here which makes charcoal quite difficult. I do keep the mini WSM here though and it is very manageable but only good for low n slow.
Captain Cook wrote:Hi Beginner
You have a problem with your Q temps. Unforunately the Q300 does not have a Temp Gauge. You need the services of a Weber Technician to fault diagnose the problem. There are a small amout of Qs that have this problem and it can be caused by a variety of things, thats why I say youi need a Weber Technician. You can call Weber and arrange for a Tech to call in on you, Thats what I would do first before thinking about swaping.

The Q is King
Ah sorry it is actually the 320 I have, with the high lid and the gauge. This is interesting though as I had thought Qs were known for not being able to reach high temps? What sort of temps would I expect to get a properly working Qs grate to?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Ah sorry it is actually the 320 I have, with the high lid and the gauge. This is interesting though as I had thought Qs were known for not being able to reach high temps? What sort of temps would I expect to get a properly working Qs grate to?
When I was demonstrating for Weber a few years ago (I did it for 7 years) I used to get both the Q220 and the Q320 up to about 275C (550F), they were both off the shelf Qs nothing special. Temps about 250 C are aceptable.
BBQ Placement can affect temps, so can the following
restriction of air flow, - Foil or tray too large covering most of the surface. 2 hotplates being used, dirty burner tube holes. Crap in the burner tubes.
large amounts of cold meat in the Q - the meat absorbs the heat.
Shut off valve in the regulator sticking.
Preheat time to short before cooking meat.
Gas bottle valve not opening properly. ( this could be the cause if you are using the same gas bottle all the time.
Spider Gaurd partialy blocked.

These things can happen to most BBQs Brands/Models including the Ziggler.

Captain
beginner

Post by beginner »

Alright cool I'll give it a good clean up and see what it will do, 275 is OK, I do go a touch higher on the griddle but it'll work
beginner

Post by beginner »

Yep with a decent amount of preheat the grill got up over 300c and was able to get a solid sear, did a couple pizzas too which turned out very nicely, will see how it goes with crackling tomorrow arvo. I did notice I am getting a reasonable amount of yellow flame, I cleaned the burners but the holes did not appear at all blocked, worth replacing the tubes?