Adding a hood to my favourite 4 burner stainless steel BBQ

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
jur

Adding a hood to my favourite 4 burner stainless steel BBQ

Post by jur »

Hi all,

I have gone through a fair few BBQs over the years, all perished due to rust in the end, even an enameled hooded one didn't stand the test of time. I went off using gassers for years until one day I spotted a stainless steel-bodied discarded BBQ with jarrah trolley on a nature strip. The stainless steel attracted me so a little later it was at home, with me restoring it to former glory. I basically went to town with stainless steel fittings, it has stainless everything. Very happy with it, been using it for a year now.

The only thing is, it doesn't have a hood. Is it feasible to obtain a hood separately? I am a dab hand at DIY and could fit one myself but have not been able to source a hood at all. I am after a hood with window. And fittings I could probably fabricate myself but I don't feel like making the entire thing. I'm not terribly short of cash but I don't want to blow the bank apart by throwing this nice one out and getting a new one just for hood reasons.

Any advice is appreciated. I am in Melbourne, eastern suburbs.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Adding a hood to my favourite 4 burner stainless steel B

Post by Davo »

Sorry Jur that nobody answered your enquiry,

I'm not certain but my theory is that an open gas BBQ and a Hooded Gas BBQ may be designed slightly different due to the ventilation needed when the hood is closed.
Most BBQ with hood apart from Weber are not designed for high heat with the lid down but with moderate heat for roasting, but the BBQ must be well ventilated for this whereas an ope BBQ doesn't matter so much as it has ample ventilation.....so the only thing I can suggest is not throw it out but just get a lid off an old frying pan and cover the food.....

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5