Auto temp control gas BBQ

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
OldNick

Auto temp control gas BBQ

Post by OldNick »

I am sure this has been asked, but I have looked.

A gas stove hads auto temp control. Why not a BBQ? The only ne I found was one that opened vents (and wasted good bottled gas).

Are there any that actually control the gas?

Thanks for any help.

Nick
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Auto temp control gas BBQ

Post by Davo »

I'm thinking that an inside Gas oven may also have electric controls on it and that gas is it's primary fuel source but may be controlled somehow with an electric regulator, other than that I have o idea.
It's highly rare today to get a Gas Oven in a domestic kitchen today, it's mostly gas hob and electric oven, well it's been that way in every set-up I've seen anyway.
I did remember though my Uncle had a Gas oven but it was a pretty old one and that was a long time ago.

Gas BBQs don't have any electric components so therefor having Gas control only comes from the burner controls (the gas knobs at the front) or maybe don't turn the gas bottle fully open but I would not recommend that incase the flame went out creating a dangerous explosive situation.

Depends on what you're cooking on your BBQ, is if you have all the burners going or not...for indirect, you only need the apposing burners on low on the other side from the food.

I guess that's the range of my knowledge on these things, I have 1 gas BBQ (Weber Q320) and 2 charcoal BBQs, whilst I use the gas more for the after work cook-ups, charcoal is still by far my preference for heat control.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Thanks for the reply.

I know they are rare, but I have a gas stove (ironically a cheapie) that has temp control with no electrical connection. I would imagine it uses something like a dissimilar metals unit to control the gas flow. It may not be very accurate, but it beats standing at the stove watching like a hawk.

I slow roasted (I was aiming for 90-100C temps) a lamb leg last night and I was at the BBQ getting the temp right for at least the first hour. In the end it settled but it was a pain. The thing is we are having 35-40C days for the next week, so cooking on the barbie is just utilitarian, not so much for the barbecuing.

I suppose I could just get aircon! :D

Nick
titch

Post by titch »

Bimetallic strip. :wink:
I have 2 ovens, LPG and Natural, neither is connected to Electricity
Cheers
Titch
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Yeah it just seems strange that BBQs do not have them. Certainly seems that way.

Nick
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Cost too much to do and another things to do.

Too many variables to control eg lid open, closed. Windy
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Ye3ah I take your point. But basically if it's not hot enough gas up, wind, open or no.Too hot, close gas down.

However as I type, I realise that you can only get gas down so far in a breeze and it goes out, so yeah maybe it is too tough. AH well..back to watching and waiting and swapping burners.

BTW the lamb was seered over the grille for colour and taste then cooked on a green veg and herb rack in a roasting pan, with a lid, between 70 and 100 C (here was where the BBQ tempo control was lackiong) for hours until the thermo said 58C in the middle. Awesome! Pretty pink and maybe too much so for some, but so juicy and sweet and evenly cooked. I was struggling to get enough juice to baste, so everything was still in the meat. The fat is fattier of course, but if you don't want that cut it off! :D I guess I could have seered longer to melt some off. The big diff for me was that faster cooked lamb can often be oily/fatty _through_ the meat: this was juicy but not fatty.

Rant over :D

Nick