YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Grill Pro Australia

Re: YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Wingman wrote:
Captain Cook wrote:Thanks Rob
Pellets are an issue here @ $33.00 for 20 lb becomes expensive.

Cheers

Captain
Good Lord! Well I now have a good reason to do some testing and provide you folks with some accurate data on burn time per lbs. I'll do tests for Hickory and one for Cherry. I'll also provide Ambient temp, wind and humidity data. It all comes into play.
Thanks Rob, that would be much appreciated :D
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
trentski

Post by trentski »

I was very close to getting a Trager before I ended up with a Kamado and it was the availability and price of pellets that tipped the scales. Good charcoals hard enough to get in Melbourne, pellets damn near impossible.

I still want a pellet burner though, so i'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one.
Grill Pro Australia

trentski wrote:I was very close to getting a Trager before I ended up with a Kamado and it was the availability and price of pellets that tipped the scales. Good charcoals hard enough to get in Melbourne, pellets damn near impossible.

I still want a pellet burner though, so i'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one.
We ( Grill Pro ) will be manufacturing our own pellets from Bourbon & Wine barrels fairly soon so supply wont be a problem in the future.
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
DrSweetsmoke

Post by DrSweetsmoke »

Grill Pro Australia wrote: We ( Grill Pro ) will be manufacturing our own pellets from Bourbon & Wine barrels fairly soon so supply wont be a problem in the future.
You mean whiskey and wine barrels right? Are you manufacturing in Oz or shipping in?
Deano

Post by Deano »

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Grill Pro Australia wrote: We ( Grill Pro ) will be manufacturing our own pellets from Bourbon & Wine barrels fairly soon so supply wont be a problem in the future.
You mean whiskey and wine barrels right? Are you manufacturing in Oz or shipping in?
Doc aren't all bourbons whiskeys but not all whiskeys bourbons? :P 8)
20" RadarHill Reverse Flow Offset, a few Webers, Wood Fire Pizza Oven, Camp Oven.
Grill Pro Australia

Deano wrote:
DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Doc aren't all bourbons whiskeys but not all whiskeys bourbons? :P 8)
So just to clarify, Grill Pro Australia will be producing pellets from Bourbon Whisky barrels from all the top bourbon producers in the US ( Makers Mark, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam etc etc )
We are already importing these barrels into Australia & along with wine barrels ( Shiraz & Pinot etc ) we will be manufacturing our pellets here in Australia.

Hope this makles sense.

Regards,

Dave
Grill Pro Australia
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

trentski wrote:I was very close to getting a Trager before I ended up with a Kamado and it was the availability and price of pellets that tipped the scales. Good charcoals hard enough to get in Melbourne, pellets damn near impossible.
Pellets are available, not just Traeger, but others as well, like Cookshack 100% Hickory, you just can't expect to walk into a store and pick them up, they are courier delivered to you instead. Even at the price we have to pay for them, it's not much different to Gas!

The pellet usage depends on the temperature you are running at, flat out on P2 a Traeger uses almost a kilo of pellets per hour, but that is roasting over a hot wood fire. Down on the smoke setting (this is where the "p" setting comes into play) the delivery is much different. The auger speed is 1.7 revs per minute (roughly a quarter cup) but on P4 runs for 15 sec then is off for 85 sec to maintain a temp of 165F (74C), my primative math says that is a 1/4 cup in 7 min, or roughly 7 hours of 165F (74C) smoke setting cooking per kilo of pellets.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Hi all, I just weighed out 5 lbs. ( 2kg ) of 100% Hickory pellets and loaded them into the Hopper of my Yoder YS640. I started the pit and started a timer when it ignited and burning commenced. I will see how far it runs @ 225 degrees (107.2 Dgrees Celsius) on the 5 lbs. ( 2kg ) of fuel. Stand by and I will have an answer in a bit.
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"
Grill Pro Australia

Wingman wrote:Hi all, I just weighed out 5 lbs. ( 2kg ) of 100% Hickory pellets and loaded them into the Hopper of my Yoder YS640. I started the pit and started a timer when it ignited and burning commenced. I will see how far it runs @ 225 degrees (107.2 Dgrees Celsius) on the 5 lbs. ( 2kg ) of fuel. Stand by and I will have an answer in a bit.
Awesome Rob!
Grill Pro Australia
Nth.Qld.stevo

Post by Nth.Qld.stevo »

Dave,
good to hear that you will be making pellets here... where will you be selling them from?
Would be good to see them all over so that freight does not become an issue

Cheers
Noel
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Hi all, well I jsut completed the burn time test. Keep in mind these pellets are fairly new on the market and they were provided for test purposes. I have yet to cook with them as I just got my hands on them Sunday. I will repeat this test using Baer Mounatin and BBQr's Delight if I can get some. I will perform the same test using "Hickory" and try and do it on a like temp & humidity day. That will have to wait as I'm going on vacation Wednesday and the pellets are on back order. I also have another new brand (Milt's Original BBQ Pellets). These are 100% hardwood with flavor. They come in Fruit woods but no Hickory, Mesquite etc. Hope this information helps.

Pellets: Pacific Pellet Smoked Hickory Flavor.
Pellet Makeup: 100% Hardwood - Alder & Hickory Blend
Volume: 5 Lbs (2 Kg)
Pit Set Temp: 225 F. (107.2 Celsius)
Ambient Air Temp: 70 Degrees F. (21.1 Degrees celsius)
Wind: NE 3 MPH Gusts: 9 MPH
Humidity: 77%
Rain: 0.00"
Duration of burn: 3 Hours 38 minutes.
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Ok,

So here, if they were Traeger Pellets, 2.5 hours would cost $7.20 to run......$7.80 for Cookshack Hickory Pellets.

We gotta get some cheaper pellets here!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Urbangriller, I wouldn't try toconvince anyone to import pellets. I agree with you. I just offered to provide burn time data. Local manufacturing would be a great thing for your local. In fact we have found that as pellet manufactures pop up in the different regeons of the US, it greatly lowers operating costs to those areas as the biggest factor these days is the shippig costs. I used to buy BBQr's Delight pellets by the 1,000 lbs. Pallet. Due to shipping costs almost doubling I have started burning Bear mountain, a quality pellet local to my state. I have sponsors that provide my supplies at cost. Even at cost the shipping for the pellets I preffer is to costly. That said I have settled for the local brand Bear Mountain. I can tell you that if the fuel prices ever stabalize and then go back down, I will go back to BBQr's Delight pellets. THey are top notch and preffered on the comp BBQ circuit.
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

Just wanted to point out that importing pellets is far cheaper than importing wood and making the pellets here...

As we have no local sources of hickory etc (except for fruit woods) it's hard to see how Australian production would make sense.

We had large scale production of wood pellets here in Albany for a couple of years for the European heating market but that is now kaput courtesy of the Australian dollar and feedstock issues. That was using fresh bluegum eucalypt waste as feedstock and may not have been suitable for BBQing but still - don't underestimate the cost of making this stuff in Australia!
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

I understand. Again I'm just providing burn time data. Whether it's affordable or a desired form of cooking is up to the folks who are considering cooking with pellets. I really wish you folks had propper access to these woods and pellets at a decent price. I'm all about spreading the love of BBQ.
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com