YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Post by Davo »

Copy & Pasted from the topic "Who owns a Traeger or other type of Pellet Grill" by Davo(Admin/ Mod)
menyou wrote:Hi
I am interested to know how many people own a Traeger or other type of Pellet grill.
We don't have too many posts about them.
I know that the Traeger is the Captains favourite BBQ,
I have one ( Menyou)
Commander Cody has one
Urban Griller has one
Dave from Yoder has a Yoder.
Bentley has several pellet grills
Richer has a Yoder
Smoking Jim has a Traeger

We need to start being more active othe forum and promote Pellet grills.
There are so many different dishes that we can do on them. Maybe we can ask the Captain to write a recipe book for Pellet Grills like he has done for the Weber Q.

Anyone got any recipes that they wish to contribute?

Menyou
Hi,
I totally agree, I think that Pellet Grills will be huge here in Australia, especially with Pellets about to be easier to get & cheaper also.

We have pre-sold our first 40' container from Yoder ( due into Australia in December ) and are starting to pre-sell our second container now also.

A few members from this forum have already ordered their Yoder Pellet Cooker so we will probably see more posts once they start cooking on them.

Yoder have just released their YS1320 Pellet Cooker, making it 3 models now in their range.

Yoder YS1320 Pellet Cooker ( we have these in our second 40' Container )

With all the cooking I have done including the cooking with Rob Green & Andy Groneman the other week in the US, I can only see advantages with Pellet cookers. The food is easily just as good & the versatility of Pellet is fantastic & has its advantages.

With regards to Recipes for Pellet Cookers, Rob Green from http://www.smokingpit.com has lots of video recipes on his site ( most on Yoder YS640 ) also http://www.smoked-meat.com is also good.

Yesterday I cooked a whole Turkey on my YS640 & then an Apple cake/pudding for desert - both turned out amazing.

I will post some photos of the food I cooked on Yoder Pellet Cookers in Tacoma Washington & Wichita Kansas in the "What Did You Cook" section & some photos of the Yoder Factory & the Production of the YS series Pellet Cookers in "Wood Pellets"

Cheers,

Dave
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

kendoll wrote:So has the pricing for the Yoder range been released?

Ken
Yes, we now have fixed pricing on all models. Shipping from the US worked out alot more expensive that what we were hoping for.

You can email me or give me a call.

We have 1 ex demo YS640 which will be available when the first container arrives in the second half of December.

Good news is that Yoder has developed a way for our customers to swith between C & F

Cheers,

Dave
david@grillpro.com.au
0418 847 111
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
kendoll

Post by kendoll »

Email sent. This may have to be my next purchase when I get back to Aus.

Ken
Ken
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Dave, you lucky bastard. The trip sounded awesome and to be able to see the product being built makes me very jealous
I just need to get the ok from management and I'll be putting in an order
Just wondering how long it takes to get the Yoder up to temp and ready for cooking ?
Cheers
Hogsy
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Hogsy wrote:Dave, you lucky bastard. The trip sounded awesome and to be able to see the product being built makes me very jealous
Just wondering how long it takes to get the Yoder up to temp and ready for cooking ?
Cheers
Hogsy
Hi Hogsy,
Yes, totally, I learnt lots of cooking while over in the US & plan to hold a cooking weekend in January here to teach all Yoder owners ( & potential Yoder Owners ) the recipies I learnt. I plan to make this first one free.

Temp time depends on what temp you are cooking at. I havent actually timed mine so I will do so today & let you know.

After using another brand of Pellet cooker, we do know that ambient temperature at the time makes a huge difference with heating up times.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Grill Pro Australia

kendoll wrote:Email sent. This may have to be my next purchase when I get back to Aus.

Ken
Received mate, onto it now.

Cheers,

Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
dales133

YODER Pellet Grills in Australia

Post by dales133 »

Check your Pm's dave
Grill Pro Australia

Hogsy wrote:Dave, you lucky bastard. The trip sounded awesome and to be able to see the product being built makes me very jealous
Cheers
Hogsy
Hi Hogsy,
I just performed a temperature test on my Yoder YS640 & timed the temp using my maverick temp probe which I placed hung from the second shelf in the very centre.

- Thermal cover on
- Heat Management Plate in
- Outside temp was 31C
- Hickory Pellets

38C / 100F – 3:45
107C / 225F – 7:00
121C / 250F – 7:28
149C / 300F – 8:15
177C / 350F – 9:10
204C / 400F – 10:38
232C / 450F – 14:09
260C / 500F – 19:58

I will do again on a colder night & another without the thermal cover on.

Obviously the thickness of the steel used for the body of the cooking chamber as well as the ambient temperature both make a huge difference on these heat up times.

Yoder Pellet Grills all have a body manufactured from at least 10 gauge steel, ( the YS640 weighs around 150kgs ) this is a massive help when it comes to Heat up times & temperature fluctuations during cooking.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Dave
Grill Pro Australia
waterland

Post by waterland »

Grill Pro Australia wrote:
Cheers
Hogsy
Hi Hogsy,
I just performed a temperature test on my Yoder YS640 & timed the temp using my maverick temp probe which I placed hung from the second shelf in the very centre.

- Thermal cover on
- Outside temp was 31C
- Hickory Pellets

Obviously the thickness of the steel used for the body of the cooking chamber as well as the ambient temperature both make a huge difference on these heat up times.

Yoder Pellet Grills all have a body manufactured from at least 10 gauge steel, ( the YS640 weighs around 150kgs ) this is a massive help when it comes to Heat up times & temperature fluctuations during cooking.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave excuse my ignorance. I have a big steel keg and I am very happy with it but am looking for a pellet BBQ for parties and overnight cooks. I usually cook in the 200 to 250 F range. does that mean with the yoder you need to preheat the BBQ for over 3 hours before cooking or do you put food in as it heats up.I thought it would be much quicker . I can generally get my keg up to 225 in about 15 to 20 min.
cheers mark
Richtee

Post by Richtee »

Grill Pro Australia wrote:[

Yes, totally, I learnt lots of cooking while over in the US & plan to hold a cooking weekend in January here to teach all Yoder owners ( & potential Yoder Owners ) the recipies I learnt. I plan to make this first one free.
That is flippin' cool... good on ya Dave... 8)
Grill Pro Australia

Richtee wrote:
Grill Pro Australia wrote:[

That is flippin' cool... good on ya Dave... 8)
Thanks mate :D
Grill Pro Australia
MrBrown

Post by MrBrown »

waterland wrote:
Cheers
Hogsy
Hi Hogsy,

- Thermal cover on
- Outside temp was 31C
- Hickory Pellets

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave excuse my ignorance. I have a big steel keg and I am very happy with it but am looking for a pellet BBQ for parties and overnight cooks. I usually cook in the 200 to 250 F range. does that mean with the yoder you need to preheat the BBQ for over 3 hours before cooking or do you put food in as it heats up.I thought it would be much quicker . I can generally get my keg up to 225 in about 15 to 20 min.
cheers mark
Total elapsed time I suspect which makes it 7 minutes to 225 which is pretty close to the Traeger by my reckoning
Grill Pro Australia

waterland wrote:
Cheers
Hogsy
Hi Hogsy,

- Thermal cover on
- Outside temp was 31C
- Hickory Pellets

cheers mark
Hi Mark,
Sorry for my late reply. 225 F took 7 minutes to get to from start up. Outside temperature has a big effect so the thicker steel the body is manufactured from the better. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Grill Pro Australia

MrBrown wrote:
Total elapsed time I suspect which makes it 7 minutes to 225 which is pretty close to the Traeger by my reckoning
Correct Mr Brown, thanks :D

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Meatman

Post by Meatman »

I have now had the pleasure of my first cook on a Yoder (in fact 2 at once) being the type of person who goes at things with both feet I kind of set myself a challenge.

Catering our staff Xmas show with about 90 guests using a cooker I have never used before. In reality a recipe for disaster!

Thanks to Grill Pro (and a bit of cheap meat :wink: ) I managed to arrange to borrow the only 2 Yoder YS640's in Australia. 1 with a thermal blanket.

The menu was brisket, pork butts and lamb butts.

We had some awesome big Red Rock packer briskets weighing in at about 6-7kg which were the first to hit the grill at 6am in the morning after an inject with low salt beef stock and a generous sprinkle of seasoned dry rub. The briskets went on the bottom rack the 2 biggest in 1 yoder and the 3 smallest in the other

The pork butts followed at 9am having been injected with apple juice and coated with dalmation rub. Lastly the lamb (which in retrospect should of gone on about the same time as the pork) which i injected with pomegranate juice and rubbed with sumac, cumin and S+P. I put 4 lamb butts on the top of 1 yoder and the 4 (small) pork butts on the top shelf of the other

Yoders were set at 225F and stocked with hickory pellets. Had a Maverick remote, iGrill and a Thermapen to monitor meat temps which was invaluable

After about 5 hours the briskets had made it to 155F internal and were wrapped tightly in foil with a little extra beef stock. Pork butts followed into foil and I had decided to leave the lamb out of foil as I'd had success with that method on my Trifire in the past.

All ran pretty smoothly with no real attention which meant I had plenty of time to make some sauces to go with the finished product. Did a spiced vinegar tomato BBQ sauce for the brisket, a red pepper vinegar mayonaise for the pork (both adapted from Wicked Good BBQ (great book)) and my own preserved lemon, sumac, cumin, garlic yogurt sauce that is killer on lamb.

I did a bit of shuffling (which I should of not done) as I wanted to slow down the brisket and speed up the lamb which meant I cracked the foil on the bottom of the briskets - i over wrapped again but 1 of them still had a hole which ended up being the only failure from the whole cook (was still OK for flavour but had to soak it in sauce!! :oops: )

Being my first time plus the fact that I had a 2 hour rest in foil planned while we finished setting up the party site I decided not to go for an unwrap to get a bit more bark. Next time when I have my own I will for sure but the stakes were high here!! :shock:

As the meat reached 203F i took it out and put it in a huge chilly bin which i had lined with newspaperon the bottom and between each layer of meat. 2 hours before the event all meat was cooked and stored.

One point to note that on an approximately 25deg c day the thermal covered Yoder used about 2/3 of the amount of pellets as the uncovered one

2 hours later was the moment of truth

The verdict

Lamb - needed a bit longer / or foiling or both - bones were clean but just on the edge so it wasn't as fall apart as I wanted. On the plus side it was the first meat we ran out of!

Pork - wow - pulled like you wouldn't believe, soft juicy, smoky, just brilliant amazing. Heaps of really good coments on the sauce

Brisket - got the most surprised reaction on this one - as a group of butcher trained that brisket is sausage meat or perhaps a wet pot roast they couldn't believe how it had come out we cooked about 30kg raw and there was nothing left at the end

The dust has settled and have to say that the atmosphere of this type of meal and the comments from all about how good the food were meant we had the best staff Xmas show ever. I realised that yes I was a bit crazy to attempt this as a first go but really the cookers made it as smooth as it could of been and produced an excellent finished product

My one regret - I was pretty absorbed in the whole thing and trying to get it right that I forgot to take photos - next time!

All I've got is one shot taken by one of our guys of Dave from Grillpro and I hard at it getting the meat out