Pulled pork Daniel Boone

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
guysmiley54

Pulled pork Daniel Boone

Post by guysmiley54 »

Hey guys,

I've got a big crowd coming on Sunday night but I have to work all day. I'm planning a pulled pork in my GMG Daniel Boone, which is still pretty new to me. I have done a pulled pork 5-6 hours at 225F but it wasn't really long enough. I'm thinking of putting the pork on at 3am, I'll be home around 4pm to take it out wrap it and rest it for an hour or so before pulling.

My wife will be home to top up the pellets but I don't expect her to show much more of an interest than that. How does my plan sound? If I was home I would plan to baste and eventually wrap with a slug of apple juice. Will the shoulder dry out if I leave it exposed without basting or wrapping? I will leave a generous water pan to help with humidity. Will that be enough moisture?

Cheers
KBBQ

Re: Pulled pork Daniel Boone

Post by KBBQ »

Lay down the law to wifey at 160 foil and soak in apple juice or look out :P :P
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Is the DB a wifi model? If so you can program the cook so it dont dry out without foiling. If not the wife will need a short lesson on how to monitor the meat temp and when to turn the unit down to 65C without turning it off. As it only one more down press and it shuts down. Ive not seen any news that GMG has gone live with its WIFI as promised a year ago, Otherwise it could have been controlled remotely. Not sure if they achieved that yet.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Your plan will produce good results...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

guysmiley54

Post by guysmiley54 »

Thanks for the replies :)

I have been doing some more reading and it seems that 12-14 hours for a decent sized shoulder without wrapping is to be expected (cooking at 225F).

I will set a profile as a fail-safe... I'll set it to get to 203F and then switch out to "Keep Warm". That way if it hits pulling temperature earlier than I'm ready for it it won't overcook it.

One last question... I opted for a bone-out shoulder (about 5.5kg) Should I tie it before cooking? I'm expecting pretty good bark with my method and I would hate to damage/lose it when untying the string. What do you guys think?

Cheers :)
guysmiley54

Post by guysmiley54 »

Update:

I just opened up the shoulder to have a look at it properly and give it a dry rub. It is a MONSTER!!! Closer to 6kg really. It is nigh on impossible to handle a bone out shoulder this size without any trussing. So that answers that question right there!

I tied it up all tight, gave it a little olive oil and a generous rub. Rolled up in glad wrap and in the fridge for now.

Will set the alarm for 2, try to get it on the cooker by 2:30-ish. Finger crossed :)
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Should be going on in about 30 minutes, regarding the trussing, nothing wrong with doing that. Some will not as they like more surface area as it gives more bark. It just depends on what you like. You will have some research now and can always do the next one opened. It will probably cook and internal temperatures will stay more uniform trussed.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!