GMG Alternative

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
Nath

GMG Alternative

Post by Nath »

Fair enough, there have been several people that had the same issue though. Anyway, have you bought a Yoder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
chrisg

Re: GMG Alternative

Post by chrisg »

:)

I've the impressions that a Yoder is on the way from other threads, also that maybe the first purchase was purely a dip of the toe to see what pellets were about.

I'm tempted to go the same route in time but a Yoder is a bit rich for me :)

The Android/iOS name calling is getting a bit carried away and as usual truth goes out the window.

Android has some security issues just at the moment, assuming you just accept what comes on the phone, most people in my circles don't, it's pretty easy to lock it down but it's sort of notable that the ones pointing the finger the most are the Apple camp, including several links off of HTG the past couple of weeks. On the other hand Android phones do have a reputation, well deserved, for better connectivity and better resistance to interference. That's just a case of chipset choices really, Apple so long as they stay proprietary are going to have reduced options in that regard. Notable of course that ever since 10.xx they have been on Intel but that's just the cpu for their pcs, their phones are making more money for them these days and they as usual have a locked down specification that does a good job but limits their options.

It's an endless and fruitless argument, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Apple product, but they are not carved out of Unobtainium and blessed with Kryptonite either, as the half dozen bricked phones around my bench attest to - I happily support both btw :)

Simply put the Apple implementation of Wi-Fi is a bit naive and a bit out of date, it IS more prone to interference and it is not as sensitive, which equates to signal strength to an access point.

That's the nature of "standards" you can very easily have two products that both comply to a particular IEEE standard but cannot communicate with each other, or cannot do so reliably - that can well and truly be a manufacturer manipulating the situation to sell more product - I've never seen Apple product do that, I have another VERY large manufacturer :)

No answers, just commentary :)

Cheers
wedwards

GMG Alternative

Post by wedwards »

Nath wrote:Fair enough, there have been several people that had the same issue though. Anyway, have you bought a Yoder?

Yep YS640 - hope to have it sometime November or December - will be interesting to do some tests between the 2. Even with the issues I had, it sold me on the concept of pellet grilling in no uncertain terms. Just the ability to set temp and not have to worry about tending a fire/coals is a win. I'll end up getting a small stick burner at some point as well for times when I want to do that as I enjoy it, but my busy life means I had to either give up bbq on a regular basis or do something a bit more set and forget.

Nath

GMG Alternative

Post by Nath »

wedwards wrote:
Nath wrote:Fair enough, there have been several people that had the same issue though. Anyway, have you bought a Yoder?

Yep YS640 - hope to have it sometime November or December - will be interesting to do some tests between the 2. Even with the issues I had, it sold me on the concept of pellet grilling in no uncertain terms. Just the ability to set temp and not have to worry about tending a fire/coals is a win. I'll end up getting a small stick burner at some point as well for times when I want to do that as I enjoy it, but my busy life means I had to either give up bbq on a regular basis or do something a bit more set and forget.

Good stuff mate, I hope you enjoy them both! Keep Q'in and posting up your cooks

Nath
pepe

Post by pepe »

I really like the idea of an inbuilt meat probe and purpose made port in the GMG.
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

Yes, the probe also makes the whole thing so flexible and easy.......getting back to the OP, IMHO there really is no alternative to the GMG...haha
Weber OTG/Roti, Workhorse gassers, Weber Q, GMG DC
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

DingoWA wrote:Yes, the probe also makes the whole thing so flexible and easy.......getting back to the OP, IMHO there really is no alternative to the GMG...haha

It totally depends on what you are after DingoWA. If Wi-Fi capabilities are the most important feature to you then your statement is correct. Although Wedwards is not alone with problems getting his Wi-Fi to work & he is not the first to upgrage to another brand for reliability.

On the other hand if reliability & build quality are the most important features to you then YES there is a much better alternative, albeit at a higher price tag. You get what you pay for in life.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Keep throwing that gas...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Grill Pro Australia wrote:there is a much better alternative, albeit at a higher price tag. You get what you pay for in life.

Cheers, Dave
Well you'd definitely get a lot more "hot air"...
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

Dredge up a thread from 6 days ago to push the agenda yet again. :roll: :roll:

No wonder I'm getting sick of looking on this forum, you think there's going to be something new and worth reading, but alas, it's yet another chest-beating post from Grill-Ho, oops, I mean Grill-Pro.

I hope PaulR's making a killing on all the shameless advertising.....
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
Nath

GMG Alternative

Post by Nath »

Use Tapatalk, there isn't any advertising.

Nath
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Fair enough, although its a very different story when other vendors push their GMG barrow.
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

Time for the stewards to pull the curtain around this thread and put this dead horse out of its misery. 8)
Weber OTG/Roti, Workhorse gassers, Weber Q, GMG DC
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Dave my friend, the difference I see...I don't see UG taking backhanded, passive aggressive, call it what you like, swipes at Yoder. If I am wrong and you can point out where he has, I will stand corrected. To me, just so you have an idea of how it looks to an outsider, you come across as so defensive. That you have to put down your competition to make folks "think" your product is superior. You keep saying it is, if that is truly the case, its should stand on its own.

To me, you are your own worst enemy!

Grill Pro Australia wrote:Fair enough, although its a very different story when other vendors push their GMG barrow.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Bentley wrote:Dave my friend, the difference I see...I don't see UG taking backhanded, passive aggressive, call it what you like, swipes at Yoder. If I am wrong and you can point out where he has, I will stand corrected. To me, just so you have an idea of how it looks to an outsider, you come across as so defensive. That you have to put down your competition to make folks "think" your product is superior. You keep saying it is, if that is truly the case, its should stand on its own.

To me, you are your own worst enemy!

Grill Pro Australia wrote:Fair enough, although its a very different story when other vendors push their GMG barrow.
It may not be done in the same way with the same mannerisms etc, but its definately done. To say that "there is nothing like the GMG at that price and with those features" is blindly (and deliberately, in my opinion), ignoring the fact that those features have to work without fault, and there are insanely large amounts of reports on the internet of dissatisfied customers who have clearly demonstrated that it doesnt "just work" for them. To then proceed to blame a customer's equipment instead of accepting that the issue might be the grill itself (like so many other reports), is just bad form in my opinion.

Sometimes you have to stand up and call a spade a spade, even if it is the unpopular thing to say.