New Grill has landed

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
ShireSteve

New Grill has landed

Post by ShireSteve »

Hi all, took delivery of my new GMG DB today. First impression was, my god this is heavy...
Thanks to the web, knew how to assemble prior to its arrival, which is a bonus!
The thought that has gone into packaging and ease of assembly is impressive to say the least.
After the legs were installed and the grill stood the right way up I was then able to get a good look at her (not named it yet, but it a she for sure).
Everything requiring fitting went together without any issues, the accuracy of construction is, for its cost beyond anticipated.
The gauge of materials used in the GMC is also impressive, you would not want to drop one of the heat deflectors on your foot!
Due to the couriers deciding to split the delivery order i am without pellets, So pan fried dinner tonight :|
Tomorrow i'm out with a few mates for a cleansing ale or two, so as a new friend noted I have time to brine! :lol:
I will 'season/burn in' tomorrow if the couriers turn up early enough, so I'm ready for Friday ribs, cant wait.
If it cooks half as good as its built, i'm happy as a dog with two tails..

Cheers
Bentley

Re: New Grill has landed

Post by Bentley »

Welcome to the DarkSide....
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Good stuff Steve!

The courier says the rest of your gear is delivered today!....Big weekend ahead for you!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
ShireSteve

Post by ShireSteve »

Firstly, thanks Chris.

"Burnt in" the grill this morning, parked it in a breezy position as the Mrs decided to hang some washing out near where I was going to fire it up.
Came up to 350C/175F in around 10mins, while that was happening I didn't waste my time, I set up the WIFI and app. This went well & without a hitch for a technophobe like me. The grill stayed within 10 degrees C for the 40 mins that It was at temp. Pretty impressed given the windy position I had it in.
So plans are, Rib eye reverse sear for dinner tonight (home alone), ribs for dinner Sat & beer can chook for Sunday dinner.
One question, fair amount of smoke leaks from the bottom of the grill 'door', has anyone sealed around the door, is it worth doing?

Cheers
Steve
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I usually put a cold smoke generator in mine to get additional smoke or additional flavours if the grill's temp doesnt generate enough smoke for my taste.
ShireSteve

Post by ShireSteve »

The Rib Eye went on for a reverse sear. Temps stayed stable at the set temp. After an hour noticed significant swings +30 -15. Using GMG pellets and no side deflectors fitted. Cleaned ash from cup before starting the cook. Any advice?

Cheers
Steve
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

It's in the learning phase, every cook it will refine its delivery of pellets and fan operation, after a few cooks it'll be rock solid....but even then, it'll still learn if the weather changes or the pellet changes, but swings will be almost non existent as the adjustments it makes will be minor.

Make sure it's on the current firmware, and cook often would be my advice. :D

cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
ShireSteve

Post by ShireSteve »

Will do, got plenty of cooking planned for it :D
ShireSteve

Post by ShireSteve »

With the care of a 1st time father holding his newborn, I carried the reverse seared Rib Eye from GMG Grill to Kitchen.
The Rib Eye was just seasoned with Salt & Pepper as I wanted to taste the smoking over gas difference.
Being prone to the odd culinary catastrophe I was hesitant to put knife to meat, for fear of hours of dreaming of a moist and perfectly cooked piece of meat more resembling shoe leather.
Well, after 3 hrs 45 mins in the GM to get to a meat temp of 52C at a set temp of 70 and a cheeky sear in the Webber Q the Rib Eye was as moist & juicy as possible and very tasty.
Eyes were bigger than the belly, so bonus left overs for lunch tomorrow :D
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

3 hours and 45 minutes to cook a Steak? To each his own...I will stick with 12 minutes...

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

ShireSteve

Post by ShireSteve »

Have had the tools for 12 minute steaks for years. The point of this excercise was to low and slow.

Happy with first time effort
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Steak is the wrong cut for low and slow. If you are going to burn pellets for 3-4 hours cook up some ribs.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

That steak looks awesome Steve! Yum!!! I take around 1.5 hours for my steaks. 1 hour on low, 15 minutes rest, 10-12 minutes grill (for tomahawk or very thick steak).
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I agree on that one Fab and I would slow roast a tomahawk in a similar way but 3.45 hours for normal steaks is overkill and a waste of pellets.
Muppet

New Grill has landed

Post by Muppet »

Ive done rib eyes 'route 66' and it was the best steak I ever cooked. Each to their own but if you have the time it's a good play.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi