Put it in cold or warmed up?

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
damianpyro

Put it in cold or warmed up?

Post by damianpyro »

Would you wait for the grill to come up to temp or put it in cold to get the extra smoke from the start up process?

PS Davey Crockett bought from the awesome Urban Griller
urbangriller

Re: Put it in cold or warmed up?

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Damian,

The startup smoke is white, so potentially bitter, that said it's not going for long. It depends on what you are doing, red meat, maybe, but chicken or fish really can't take any bitterness, but again, it's about what you are cooking and how long it's going to be there......and the prep, is it brined or rubbed, brine will suck up smoke, rub will protect a bit.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

I simply turn it on, then go inside & get everything ready (ie, find the tongs, the foil, what I've been marinating/rubbed earlier etc - or if it's just a few steaks, put S&P on them etc). In the 4-5 minutes that takes, the white smoke has cleared, and you can set the temp up to where you want it, then chuck it in.

For low & slow stuff, I find my GMG DC doesn't like to sit below 275 - if I set it to 250 it seems to smoulder too much, and go back to a white/bitter smoke - even more so at 225, but at 275 it's a much cleaner smoke. If it's a quick steak I run it at 375 for about 20 minutes (preheated) & they come out perfect.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Be honest with ya, never saw much difference in taste either way!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Mixin wrote: For low & slow stuff, I find my GMG DC doesn't like to sit below 275 - if I set it to 250 it seems to smoulder too much, and go back to a white/bitter smoke - even more so at 225, but at 275 it's a much cleaner smoke. If it's a quick steak I run it at 375 for about 20 minutes (preheated) & they come out perfect.
What firmware version are you running?

To display the firmware version.
Toggle the Grill switch to OFF.
Hold the “UP” button down, then toggle the grill switch ON, while continuing to hold “up” button for about 15 seconds
The LCD Panel will display the version number.
If no Version number is displayed, you will definitely need to update your firmware

You can also reboot, this will clear the "Memory" and give it a fresh start.
To Reboot:
It can be re booted by holding down the food button for 15 seconds until a count up to 1000 occurs.
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

I'm not sure of the pre-set target temperature on your GMG, but with the Yoders we ALWAYS recommend heating up to the set 350F, once at 350F putting in your meat & then turning it down to 225F or whatever you want to cook at.

Otherwise you are trying to heat mot only the BBQ but the food also.

The meat will always suck heat out when you first put it in.

I always cook my Low & Slow at 225F , never over.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Grill Pro Australia wrote:I'm not sure of the pre-set target temperature on your GMG, but with the Yoders we ALWAYS recommend heating up to the set 350F, once at 350F putting in your meat & then turning it down to 225F or whatever you want to cook at.

Otherwise you are trying to heat mot only the BBQ but the food also.

The meat will always suck heat out when you first put it in.

I always cook my Low & Slow at 225F , never over.

Cheers, Dave
GMG's go to 65°C (150°F) at the end of startup.
Unless the user sets another temperature, they will sit at that all day long.

It’s personal choice to start low, or start high, smoke adherence is better the lower the meat temperature is, so a lot of people try to keep the meat temp down as long as they can, then there are others who cook hot at 135°C (275°F) and some!

I prefer to creep up on a temperature rather than start hot and try to get down to the target.

Chris