Heat attack roast potatoes

FRUIT N VEGGIES
camdira

Heat attack roast potatoes

Post by camdira »

Just wanted to share a recipe for you that I made twice last year on the Weber Spirit. The only reason I have made it twice is that if you eat it more than twice a year, you are sure to end up with a coronary!

I was searching online for a recipe to go with Kogi Dogs, a classic food truck staple from LA from the legendary Dude food cook Roy Choi.

I found a link to his restaurant and the menu had a delightful sounding dish called Ooey Gooey Fries. No recipe as such, but I thought it would be the perfect side dish, and I went about recreating it.

Now you can't cook fries on the bbq, so roasted potatoes seemed the next best thing.

When I made it on the first occasion, I remember lying on the couch for 45 minutes holding my chest after eating, but believe me it was worth it!

So here is my recipe, and I call it heart attack roast potatoes. The ingredient quantities are a little hazy as I had been imbibing at the time of cooking, and it was a year ago, but adjust according to what you can handle.

800 g pork skin
1.5kg good roasting potatoes. Cut into wedges, peeled or unpeeled. (I use Russets or King Edwards)
Pickled garlic sliced thinly (you can get this from Asian groceries)
Sour Cream
100g Monterey Jack Cheese grated (Not easy to find in Oz, but in Melbourne you can get it at Casa Iberica in Johnston St Fitzroy. If you can't find it, double the cheddar)
100g Good Cheddar grated
100g Fetta grated
Coriander
Pickled jalapeno slices.
Sambal Oelek
A handful of coriander leaves

Roast the pork skin in a pan on your bbq (about 200 degrees c) until you have super crispy crackling.

Remove the crackling from the rendered fat, and when cooled break the crackling into small pieces. Reserve rendered pork fat.

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.

Roast potatoes in reserved pork fat until crispy, turning frequently.

Once potatoes are cooked, remove from bbq and sprinkle with cheese, crackling and chillies.

Return pan to bbq and cook until cheese has melted over potatoes.

Remove pan from bbq and spread sour cream and sambal oelek over potaoes.

Serve hot!
Last edited by camdira on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
camdira

Re: Heat attack roast potaotes

Post by camdira »

oh yeah, I fogot to add, sprinkle coriander leaves over the final product!
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Yummmmmmmm!
I can feel my arteries closing up just thinking about them :D
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

But I LIKE potatoes! :P
:lol:
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Windsurf

Post by Windsurf »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:Yummmmmmmm!
I can feel my arteries closing up just thinking about them :D
I thought the title of the thread was Heart Attack Potatoes (and when I saw the recipe it still seemed appropriate).
RaymonAbdullah

Re: Heat attack roast potatoes

Post by RaymonAbdullah »

Lets change the name to this "Heart Attract Potatoes".... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
snowfella

Re: Heat attack roast potatoes

Post by snowfella »

Think I have a different idea of heart attack potatoes in the shape of raw panfried potato slices.

All you need is 4 odd mm think potato slices, a silly hot pan, more butter than you think was ever possible to cook just some spuds and a generous helping of salt.
Trick is to cook them just long enough that they get soft and golden without turning into chips, add more butter as needed between batches and add salt after you flip (flip only once or you will have chips)

Cook it once in a blue moon and can almost feel my cholesterol go up plus all that salt doesn't help the blood pressure or kidney stones I've been producing since the end of the last millennia.