Help make vegies less boring.

FRUIT N VEGGIES
chriso

Help make vegies less boring.

Post by chriso »

Some background - too many of the meals at my place are a fantastically cooked steak, or delicious brined/marinaded chicken (etc), and then I just throw on some boring steamed vegies or boring salad.

Does anyone have any interesting ways to prepare some basic vegies? Especially any that require the bbq instead of a saucepan or microwave. There are some great dishes in this part of the forum and the sides forum, but I'm not looking for something that takes loads of preparation. I've got a couple to start off so you can see what I'm talking about:

Just before you crank up the Weber, throw some asparagus spears into a ziplock bag with some balsamic vinegar, a splash of olive oil and some minced garlic. Cook direct while the meat is resting, when they're on the plate grate some parmesan cheese over them.

While the bbq is firing up, cut up a red onion into fat slices (don't separate the rings). Run a skewer or toothpick through them, give it a rub with a bit of salt and olive oil then leave them in the Weber while the meat cooks. Finish them off direct if you want some black on them. I've also used brown onions and/or put a blob of honey on the 'discs' to caramelise and crunch up.

For longer cooks, just chuck an onion in the bbq whole (unpeeled). It steams away nicely in the onion skin and has quite a sweet taste to it. It's ready when it's gone all squishy.

Get some onions caramelising, and just before you take them off the heat, stir some finely chopped sweet apple through it. This was one of my usually badly-received kitchen experiments which actually went down quite well with some pork chops.

Hopefully you can see what I'm getting at - minimal preparation!
Grillnoob

Re: Help make vegies less boring.

Post by Grillnoob »

Not sure if you like eggplant but this pretty easy and tasty
Japanese Grilled eggplant
Ingredients
Eggplants
Light Cooking oil
shoyu (soy sauce) or seasoned soy sauce such as dashi shoyu, or ponzu (citrus soy sauce) I make ponzu at home, lemon juice and soy to your taste.
katsuo bushi (dried bonito shavings)- optional i luv it others dont, smokey flavour - can buy in most asian shops
finely sliced negi (spring onions or garlic chives)
fresh grated shoga (ginger)

Instructions
Oil eggplants
Cook eggplant in their skin over medium high temp on the grill until the inner flesh is soft and tender and the outer skin is charred.
Either place the eggplant (skin on) in cool water, or allow it to rest until room temperature. (optional,could just eat warm)
Take skin off and cut into bit sized bits
garnish with fresh grated ginger, bonito shavings and sliced spring onions.
Drizzle with soy sauce of your choice and add chilli sauce if you like it spicy
Simple tasty and healthy