Resting in Esky.

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Nath

Resting in Esky.

Post by Nath »

Assuming your cooking in a weber Q?
You could use a foil tray beneath the trivet providing you have enough height, and it would need to be strong enough to hold the trivet and bird.

Nath
Nath
bennos

Re: Resting in Esky.

Post by bennos »

did the turkey tonight. started cooking at 1pm and reached 78° around 5pm. to rest, wrapped it in foil and left it for an hour and a half. was beautiful, the whole bird was eaten (5kg).

going to set my sights on going a roast pork loin soon. might have to take off the crackling to finish it off. any tips for a good crackling?
Hud

Post by Hud »

Rather than start a new thread on resting, I will ask my questions here.
I've read with great interest here about the double wrapped foil, towels in the esky and buried in the sandpit (I exaggerate) method for roasts etc
but why this 'loosely tented' method for steak?
Why not a tight wrap? Is steak the only thing that requires loose tenting rest?
What about chicken legs?
Thanks.
I'm really finding it great to be here among kindred spirits who understand my obsession with these finer points :lol:
Nath

Resting in Esky.

Post by Nath »

If you tightly wrap, it will continue cooking to a point, so your perfectly cooked steak will come out of the rest over cooked.
Nath
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Part of the trick with steak is taking it off before the desired doneness, as it's generally cooked on an extremely hot surface it's not uncommon for the steak to increase 5 or 6 degrees C in the resting.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Hud

Post by Hud »

That's simple enough. So it's expected that a fair amount of juice will still pool on the plate after a few minutes resting?
Thanks guys, just sorting out a few things I often wonder about
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Some cooks don't recomend tenting at all, Just resting in a warm spot.
That's all well and good if you have a Bain Marie or a warm spot.
Tenting is a compromise to keep warm and narrows the rise in doneness a little.
I use it if I'm not quite ready for the meat and add the tent after the temp of the steak has peaked just to slow it down from going cold. An Instant read thermopen comes into its own here.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hud wrote:That's simple enough. So it's expected that a fair amount of juice will still pool on the plate after a few minutes resting?
Juice comes about by way of the cooking method and if the meat was frozen.
If you reverse sear a previously unfrozen prime steak, You should have bugger all leakage.
I reciently did a test on two rib eyes from the same primal, One seared then rested , the other reverse seared with little resting.
The difference was chalk and cheese.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Smokey wrote:
Hud wrote:That's simple enough. So it's expected that a fair amount of juice will still pool on the plate after a few minutes resting?
Juice comes about by way of the cooking method and if the meat was frozen.
If you reverse sear a previously unfrozen prime steak, You should have bugger all leakage.
I reciently did a test on two rib eyes from the same primal, One seared then rested , the other reverse seared with little resting.
The difference was chalk and cheese.
And remember Route 66, if you take the meat above 66C you destroy the cellular structure and the meat juices will leak out. Under 66 and the cellular structure is intact and you loose liquid only out of those cells you cut through.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Hud

Post by Hud »

I have never used a thermometer on steak. Looks like I need a thermapen! :mrgreen:
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

urbangriller wrote:
bennos wrote:Got my 5kg turkey and it's now drowning in a brine solution (using an Esky with ziplocked bags of ice for this big bird).

I'm going to do the technique of wrapping foil and tea towel and then putting it in an esky to rest for 2 hours. Sounds wise! I'm a big fan of resting my steaks and meats but never tried in the esky for more then 10 minutes. Get your esky Hot with Hot water or a Hot water bottle before you rest.

I'll pull out the turkey from the weber after it hits a temp just before "cooked"... leads in to the question. What is the done temp (ºC please)? 83º C? So pull it out at around 78ºC It's Just a big Chook, so 80ish in the thigh is good 75ish for the breast.

What is the best part to insert the gauge? Into the breast from the top near the middle The thickest part of the breast, so yes! also do the joint between the thigh and the main body.

What do you do about all the excess fat and moisture dripping out through the foil with holes poked into it, Can you use a higher side tray, still causes indirect cooking, Not following this? are we talking about resting or when its cooking...what holes in the foil?
OK time for my beginner question of the day. Why take turkey/chook up to 80. The NSW food safe page I found elsewhere on this forum says 74 for poultry. Confused.

My meat thermometer goes even higher, 82 for fresh turkey. I have been using the 74 mark but now worried I might poison someone...

Thanks
Wwolf
Muppet

Resting in Esky.

Post by Muppet »

Anyone who posts on chicken temps or writes it publicly will errrr on the safe side. It's impossible for someone else to know what hygiene practices have been followed or where your food came from.

Not much help for your question I know but with cleanliness and a trusted food source I go lower than what you have stated. When you have done a few cooks and have a tool like a thermapen you can find your happy point.

Baby Steps...
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Muppet

Resting in Esky.

Post by Muppet »

I should also add that whole birds are pushed higher to get the thigh area cooked, That's my problem spot with whole birds.

Baby Steps...
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

Mmmm cheers guys. Tricky one I guess

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk