Non Stick mesh test

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
urbangriller

Non Stick mesh test

Post by urbangriller »

I finally got to begin testing a new non-stick mesh I’m thinking of adding to the Urban Griller range on the weekend. I made bacon wrapped pork neck, normally when I do this it looks like a porcupine with toothpicks holding the strips of bacon on and butchers string around it all, even then I lose most of it stuck on the grill.

This is the bacon weave on the non-stick mesh

Rolled and secured with toothpicks

Cooked over direct flame with flame tamer in place.

Deliberately cooked hard to see what the mesh would take, I must admit I was worried the mesh would melt.

At the end of the day I shouldn’t have worried, the mesh didn’t melt and released without drama.

A little gloop stuck to the mesh, I just put it strait in the dishwasher.

The final result and Managements plate complete with honey dill carrot and parsnip and crispy potato shred cakes.

I’m pretty happy with my first mesh test, next weekend I’ll get a bit more adventurous..
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
alice

Re: Non Stick mesh test

Post by alice »

Looks good, I've had my first attempt at a weave fall apart so I'll definitely be wanting one of those..

In the meantime, what about a recipe for those crispy potato shred cakes? :-)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Sure Alice,

Recipe in the "V" section: Darphin Potatoes

Chris
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

I have given the Mesh a couple of torture tests.
Test one - Weber Q220 - high temp Grill 450F - 475F - Chicken quarters with Chinese rib sauce marinade (high sugar content) basting every 10 minutes on mesh direct cook on grill
Marinade flowed through the mesh and burnt onto the grill chicken was stuck to the grill. Lifted the chicken and mesh off the grill and placed it on the Trivet. Chicken came away from the mesh and was easy to flip several times until it was cooked,
Test two - Weber Q220 - high temp Grill 450F -475F- Pork belly strips with Chinese rib sauce marinade (high sugar content) flipping and basting basting every 5 minutes. On mesh sitting on trivet over doubled over sheet of foil - indirect cooking cooked for 20 minutes removed foil and continued to grill direct on mesh on trivet 5 minutes per side. No sticking - strips easily lifted off without damaging the glaze developed by the basting process.
Test three - Weber Q220 - medium grill temp 350F - Tiger Prawns shelled, tail on, marinated in oil, lime juice, garlic. chilli, ginger and coriander. Placed mesh direct on grill and preheated for 10 minutes, Prawns direct on mesh and grilled for 2 minutes Flipped prawns and brushed with lime juice and grilled for 2 minutes. Prawns released easily, oil from the marinade smoked imparting a BBQ flavour into the prawn flesh. Prawns had small searing marks where they touched the grill. Worked an absolute treat.

The mesh discoloured slightly during the first cook when the marinade stuck to the grill and charred. I guess that it will continue to discolour over time.
Wash-up after the first cook was relatively easy. I soaked it in hot soapy water for 5 minutes and then brushed it with my BBQ Brush to dislodge the charred marinade which came off with little effort. The second wash-up was a breaze a simple soak in hot soapy water for 5 minutes and a quick wipe with the dishcloth and it was clean.

The next test will be indirect on the mesh on the genesis and veggies direct on the mesh on the Genesis, then indirect on the kettle and finally on the Traeger.

First impressions.
Good product - will take the heat. I took my Q up to a lid temp of 550 with the mesh direct on the grill with no adverse effects. Food does not stick to mesh unless marinade chars on the meat and around the mesh, by dislodging/breaking the charred marinade the food releases freely. Great for grilling small items and having the grill impart the BBQ flavour.

Sorry no photos.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

HI I will try the mesh on the 'ol Komodo Kamado over the weekend. I tried it and it fits nicely on the top grill.
Will post photo's!

So cleaning was easy??? I still haven't found out how to easily clean the flat BBQ liners....

Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

chris,

here goes a running photo comentry as it happens.........using the fibre glass mesh to do some pork belly low and slow on the TRAEGER..
had some fun, used the chili oil and some maple syrup only for the rub, nice and sugary... :twisted: ..rubbed both inside and out.

first attempt at rolling was a bit of a joke as you will see i rolled the pork into the mat and look one of your porky pines....next rolled pork and used fibre mesh to keep it together...still porky pine..but trimed the sticks and all looks like i might know what i am doing..... :roll: ...
i put it in my favourite roasting dish with a little of castle glen ginger beer to lace the bottom, put project on rack and placed it into my TRAEGER on smoke.........

got photos.. more to follow as progress happens.... 8)

enjoy

kevin
Last edited by Commander Cody on Wed May 26, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

oi.....hold on.....

just had a thought my previous post.....gets a little twist now just an hour and a half into the cook, i had a brain fart as i usually do whilst drinking james squires seasonal brews...this time its malt runner.. good gear tooo.....

anyhow i did think....that with the belly rolled up the skin would be rolled in as well...that is not going to help the issue of crackling it up at all now is it..??.. :oops: ..

so i took it out of the TRAEGER an laid it out flat THERE WAS NO GIVE OR RESISTANCE FROM THE FIBREGLASS MESH....put it back on the mesh....and placed it back into the TRAEGER on high.. i think i will leave it on high for about an hour... the temps up here are playing havock with the TRAEGER.. the little fellow is not cold friendley...

a couple more photos.

ok....ok... youes can all stop laughing now i think i have got this beat....having fun with this, but..... :roll:

kevin
Last edited by Commander Cody on Wed May 26, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

this is it...

just off the TRAEGER note no gloves.... :shock:

awaiting to go under grill. to crackle up

hey..!!.. it's all good.. :twisted:

the belly just slid right off the fibreglass mesh
used a brush and hot soapy water

clean.....a little couloring around the edges.

yummy pork belly.... :twisted:

just one more thing to add to this i put the belly under the grill ON THE FIBREGLASS MESH... 8) .. SORRY COULD NOT GET PHOTO OF THIS ....but.. AS YOU CAN SEE NO DAMAGE TO THE MESH AT ALL...

NEXT..??..

KEVIN
Last edited by Commander Cody on Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbqdude

Post by bbqdude »

Great idea, since plastic is molded at high temps, doubt its gonna melt in the bbq. But good to really know it doesnt.
Weber with Cast-Iron-Grate
Kamado with cast-iron-grate
Smokey Joe for trips
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

It's not plastic, it is a fibreglass mesh coated in the non-stick stuff, similar to a frypan.

We can't call it "F-Mat" as that is the registered name of an environmental company in Australia, I've sourced this independantly and we are testing it with the intention to market it under the Urban Griller brand in the next couple of months (before the next season)...(kevin: would you mind editing your post to change the "F-mat" reference............nice work by the way, look forward to the next entry).

It seems to perform well, I've had a piece up to just under 400C for a half hour with no headaches! One of mine has a bit of discolouration, not much...but I've been beating the hell out of it! This weekend I'm realy going to hit it hard (if it doesn't pour with rain)!

Cheers
Chris
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

I have continued to use the mesh mat in many situations from Direct Grilling, Indirect Grilling, roasting, smoking.
I have used it with Fish ( Direct Grilling) which proved to be a great way of direct grilling.
I have not had a failure and it surpasses my expectations.
My one comment is that it discolours with continual use which is to be expected. I have used it in excess of 40 times.

Cheers

Cap'n
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

I picked up a sheet of "cookamesh" for $5 at "the reject :oops: shop" the other day have cut a D shape out to suit the Primo Junior. Packaging says it's good for 500f so hopefully good for grilling fish direct.

Do I just stick the fish on dry with a little seasoning???

Are you selling the frogmat Chris, doesn't appear in the grillshop?
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

That's the plan, but not in stock yet.

Chris
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

And what about the fish? dry or a little oil?
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Sorry, yes you can just put fish on dry (but I use a light spray of canola....and I mean light!).

Cheers
Chris