Weber 220 Vs Bugg

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Captain Cook

Re: Weber 220 Vs Bugg

Post by Captain Cook »

Snow wrote:
Captain Cook wrote:
Don't tell anyone about this trick, its my secret method.

Captain
Good man! Thanks for sharing Captain, your secret is safe with us :)
Oh Carp, stuffed up, ........... na still 2 more things to keep to myself.

Captain
Yamapro

Post by Yamapro »

Back to the task at hand... ;)

Very happy q220 owner here, it was my introduction to real BBQ and I have done food with it I previously didn't know possible (I had lived a sheltered existence!).

FWIW the bugg looks great & I'm sure both will do a stellar job.
Now for my bias... I like a full grill setup and find it way more practical than half half with hotplate (can always add a Teflon sheet to a grill). I don't know if this is easily achievable on the bugg?

The Q does everything well and backup service is second to none.

They are very well made and even better supported - there's loads of stories here about local weber support & ill add one more: a friend of mine bought a q220 and recently needed a replacement handle & so was sent out a full set no questions asked. Turns out a set of kettle handles was sent by mistake. Sorry sir came the reply and a full set of Q handles were immediately dispatched and I got to keep the kettle handles for my tan kettle ;)

The after sales support is legendary even when things are beyond/outside of warranty. I'm not saying you won't get the same level of backup with the Bugg - only time will tell, of course. But Weber set a ridiculously high standard of customer care. Already with the other main competitor to the Q, the ziggy we have stories of no warranty support without the receipt - fair enuff admittedly but a long way short of the Weber experience IMHO.

Finally the one weak point in the Q220s game is its apparent lack of heat output. I can (&do) happily live with it. Have to cook with the lid down? That's ok - turns out food tastes way better that way!
As for the common - can't do a steak to medium rare... I don't know what steaks these people have tried cooking on a q220 or if they are just rehashing rhetoric they picked up from others?
I admittedly prefer to grill my steaks over charcoal but the Q does a great job too. Just stick to 1.5inch thick minimum 2" is even better and she has no trouble at all. Anything less isn't worth barbecuing anyway in my book!

Long and short is if you have the Aussie mindset of 'must have hotplate' and like to grill hood up then trailblaze away with the Bugg. No doubt it's a great unit - pretty clear where the inspiration came from with a few 'local' tweaks.

Alternatively if you want the best proven all rounder with a community full of users, recipes etc (which should translate across to the bugg with minor adjustments) and more available accessories than you can poke a stick at & the best customer care in Australia then go a Q220!

Both will cook some delish grub;)
Too many Qs but still not enough...
Yamapro

Post by Yamapro »

By the way here's a pic of my Q220 thermometer that had a 10minute warm up while I typed out that last reply.
Just about 300deg in there - plenty hot enough for pizza and hot enough to get a good sear on a steak and nice med rare inside ;)
AzzzzzA

Post by AzzzzzA »

And here's a pic of mine after 15mins. Purchased on Saturday 12/1/13.

I work at a retailer for both Weber and Beefeater and look what I bought. The only thing I can see of any benefit on the Bug is the split burner and even then it was no way near enough to sway me away from the Weber. The build quality of both is good but the lid on the bugg's lid seems very flexible to me. I think it is only 1mm pressed metal vs. the cast aluminium of the 220. I also dislike the spring load on the lid. If you lift the lid half way and let it go it nearly throws the BBQ over backwards.

Warranty wise
- Weber 220:
5 years on everything except the paint which is 1 year.

- Bugg:
BBQ
BBQ Frame: 5 years
Burners: 2 years
Cast iron cook tops: 2 years
Valves: 2 years
Ignition: 2 years
All other parts: 2 years
BBQ Hood
Hood: 2 years
Cast Alloy Parts: 2 years
All other parts: 2 years
Stand
All stand parts: 2 years
(Taken directly from the training manual).

Also try and call Beefeater at the mo. I think you'll find they are still on holidays. Funny thing for a BBQ company to do during their peak time. As mentioned a million times on this forum and elsewhere Weber service and back-up is second to none.

I hope this helps.
Performer - 2008
WSM - 2009
OTS - 2011
WGA - 2011
Q220 - 2013
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Pretty good assessment there Yamapro, although I'm not sure the q series(or the Bugg) represents an introduction to 'real' BBQ'ing. At least not in my interpretation anyway(I guess it's subjective though)

Having a q200 in my backyard arsenal and having set up a mates Bugg and now having used it several times I have to say the Bugg is an impressive unit.

I found the spring hinge a well thought out mechanism like my Kamado, when bbq'ing as it keeps the unit stable, and especially for the Bugg as you will be grilling lid up or down or both during the same session. The lid is thinner than the q, but build quality is evident and its porcelain enamel so it should last.

No question, Weber support is excellent, but I've never had bad support from either Weber or Beefeater

i recall a forum user and Bugg owners commemts they were bringing one out, but Beefeater should put out a Bugg specific recipe book for those with limited knowledge of bbq'ing or cooking sooner rather than later for this bbq, just like they have with their other bbqs.

All in all, the build quality is good, and the heat control and output is fantastic, the lid height and the dual burners easily make the Bugg a hands down winner in terms of grilling performance IMO.

EDIT: @Azzzzzza- I tried Beefeater customer service- the phone was answered and they are providing support. You may want to check your sources here as you have a duty of care to your customers regarding such advice.
AzzzzzA

Post by AzzzzzA »

LA1 wrote:
EDIT: @Azzzzzza- I tried Beefeater customer service- the phone was answered and they are providing support. You may want to check your sources here as you have a duty of care to your customers regarding such advice.

Hey LA1,

The source is me I tried to call Woodlands on Friday and got an answering machine telling me they wer closed for the holidays. I dunno if somebody accidently turned it on or what but I did confirm it with the Purchasing Manager at work. Anyhoo, not trying to start a blue or anything just stating facts.

Az
Performer - 2008
WSM - 2009
OTS - 2011
WGA - 2011
Q220 - 2013
LA1

Post by LA1 »

AzzzzzA wrote:
LA1 wrote:

Hey LA1,

The source is me I tried to call Woodlands on Friday and got an answering machine telling me they wer closed for the holidays. I dunno if somebody accidently turned it on or what but I did confirm it with the Purchasing Manager at work. Anyhoo, not trying to start a blue or anything just stating facts.

Az
Fair enough Azzzzzza.

I called Beefeater this morning to check this but it also reminded me I had to action a replacement part for mates Bugg. Incidentally- they didnt ask for purchase reciept or even a serial number. Mind you it was registered online when purchased so they obviously linked it up. New part being sent out today. great service.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

LA1 wrote:
I called Beefeater this morning to check this but it also reminded me I had to action a replacement part for mates Bugg. Incidentally- they didnt ask for purchase reciept or even a serial number. Mind you it was registered online when purchased so they obviously linked it up. New part being sent out today. great service.
A replacement part already - what was the problem"

Captain
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Captain Cook wrote:
LA1 wrote:
A replacement part already - what was the problem"

Captain
Lets just say the owner is useless when it comes to home chore/ maintenance stuff and what he should and should'nt be using in terms of what constitutes a cleaning material to be used on certain surfaces. I'll leave it at that.
Again- great service from Beefeater, most companies would'nt be replacing the part under warranty.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thats good service.
Ive got a mate who is banned from touching any tool whatsoever :lol:
If he touches a screw driver we call in the swat team. "DROP THAT SCREW DRIVER NOW" :lol: :lol: :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Smokey Mick wrote:Thats good service.
Ive got a mate who is banned from touching any tool whatsoever :lol:
If he touches a screw driver we call in the swat team. "DROP THAT SCREW DRIVER NOW" :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: yeah Smokey we all know one or two...scary though isn't it
Yamapro

Post by Yamapro »

Great to hear about the Beefeater support. We all know Weber back up is second to none & it's good that another quality brand are properly behind their product. Still be very wary if the ziggy thru BBQ Galore on this front however...

I have to take you to task wrt a bugg/q not being an introduction to 'real' BBQ though LA- ;)
Allow me to explain myself...

Pre Q220 I was a typical Aussie Barbie bloke - I knew just how to perfectly blacken a chop on a hot plate!
The Q led me to this forum and several books and I slowly began to understand and create delish outdoor food - better steaks than ever before, roasts that made the whole family jealous, racks of lamb, backstrap, pizza etc etc... All things I never thought I would cook well, let alone try outdoors.

Now they may not be 'real BBQ' to you - fair enough but the Q then somehow led me to two kettles, a go anywhere and hopefully soon a bullet smoker (don't tell mrs Pro)

I have much to learn but regularly low n slow ribs, Esp. of the Bovine variety and have finally done a 15hr cook resulting in scrumptious pulled pork. I'm no expert, as I said but these have to count as real BBQ and the Q220 served as my introduction to the dark and smokey arts!

Anywho way to serious ;)

For the record I have a mate looking for a mid size gasser and have told him to check out both the Bugg and Ziggy alongside the Weber - hopefully I can check some out with him and not push him one way or the other!
LA1

Post by LA1 »

I have to take you to task wrt a bugg/q not being an introduction to 'real' BBQ though LA-
Allow me to explain myself...

Pre Q220 I was a typical Aussie Barbie bloke - I knew just how to perfectly blacken a chop on a hot plate!
The Q led me to this forum and several books and I slowly began to understand and create delish outdoor food - better steaks than ever before, roasts that made the whole family jealous, racks of lamb, backstrap, pizza etc etc... All things I never thought I would cook well, let alone try outdoors.
Cool Yamapro! Great to hear your loving bbq. Your cookups all look top notch. Keep it up
tombauer

Post by tombauer »

I am using a Q220 for camping in our TREK, To make it a little easier to handle, I take out the cast iron grill and put it into a cloth shopping bag we picked up somewhere free. The removel of the grill sure makes toe Q220 easier to handle and I put the grill in first and set the Q220 on top of it. You also can remove the side tables if needed, if you take it to places that already have tables or benches set up.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

tombauer wrote:I am using a Q220 for camping in our TREK, To make it a little easier to handle, I take out the cast iron grill and put it into a cloth shopping bag we picked up somewhere free. The removel of the grill sure makes toe Q220 easier to handle and I put the grill in first and set the Q220 on top of it. You also can remove the side tables if needed, if you take it to places that already have tables or benches set up.
I assume you take the grill out of the shopping bag before placing it on the bbq! *LOL*