Beafeater Bugg issues

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Joey79

Beafeater Bugg issues

Post by Joey79 »

Hi all,

I have owned a beafeater Bugg for a couple of years. It has been used sparingly due to some issues i have found.

I am unable to cook with the lid down. Every time I close the lid and lift it back up after a minute or so, the flame on the right burner is off. Once the lid opens, the flame is re ignited.

It makes cooking with the lid down pointless.

I have contacted beafeater. The beafeater rep replaced burners. I have been told it's near impossible for this to happen and made to feel like its just my imagination.

I had all but given up on the Bugg until I tried it again the other day in order to roast some pork. The pork on the left girll was burning whilst the right was not. I can't trust it with he lid down unless I am only cooking using the left burner.

The reason I bought the Bugg was to cook up smaller items such as Steaks and roasts. I am finding that I barely use it and opt for the bigger BBQ.

I came across the receipt the other day and knowing I paid $399 for it. I added the trolley which was another $150 and grill for $50. Added it up to a total of about $600. Taking that into consideration, it's now well and truly bugging me (pardon the pun).

I usually cop things on the chin to my detriment but is is just wrong.

Has anyone ever had this happen? If so, how did you solve the issue?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Beafeater Bugg issues

Post by Davo »

What warranty have you got with those? If it's still under warranty, you need to contact where you bought it from....they are bound by laws to have it repaired, replaced and or find a solution.

Get tough with them...you bought their equipment on the advice on what they will do and how they will perform.....don't let them shaft you...coz they will if they see you're weak and walk away...they don't want the issue...but it is the retailer's and suppliers responsibility.....but have a good read of your warranty first before you go for the jugular.

let us know how you got on.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

Hi Davo,

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

The first couple of times I had a rep came over, I was told there was no issue. I copped it. The third time, a tech came out and replaced the burners. The very same thing is happening. The left burner is fine, the right works fine until I close the lid.

The warranty is a 5 year limited. This time I contacted the vendor and was told they will contact beafeater.

Thanks again Davo
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

It just another bbq so hasn't got that many moving parts. Looking at same google pics the controls are part of the hing at the back.
Any change when you close the lid the left burner control is getting turned ?
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

I don't think so. If I lift the lid even Slightly, the flame re ignites.

Worth a look though.
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

Joey79 where about are you located ?
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

Buzza inner west of Sydney.
Jars

Post by Jars »

Try and get a video of it happening for proof, and give you some piece of mind that it's not you going crazy.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Joey79

Re:

Post by Joey79 »

Jars wrote:Try and get a video of it happening for proof, and give you some piece of mind that it's not you going crazy.
Yep did that but deleted once the burners were replaced. I need to do so again.

Thanks for the tip.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

It has to be something to do with the lid and the gas controls which form part of the hinge set up, as was proposed earlier. There isn't any other logical explanation.
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

I will have a play around and let you guys know how it goes.
Joey79

Post by Joey79 »

Have checked and watched as I opened and shut the lid from behind.

Strangely the flame was going out when shutting the lid and reigniting as per previous post, this time in the left hand side.

Have been told it's near impossible. I will profess that I am not that handy and do not know much about bbq's. It is very annoying.
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Make a video and post it up on youtube. This one is very curious. My sister has a bug, once you post the video up I'll go over to her place and have a play with her's. As the others have said no real moving parts so I am curious to have a look. Hers works perfectly as far as I know.

Definitely don't let the retailer off the hook. That's a lot of money you have forked out. Even if Beefeater jerk you around, your contract is actually with the retailer, at the end of the day they will have to fix or replace, and then they will have to fight it out with the supplier - and that's something you don't need to be concerned with. Put pressure on the retailer, and even consider opening a case with ACCC (the australian consumer version, not the anti corruption ACCC). Once the retailer knows you have a case with the ACCC they will usually act quite quickly.
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

There is one possible explanation . It could be the fresh air intake on the gas burner (no idea where it is on a Bugg but it's usually just the other side of the relevant knob), which mixes the gas with fresh air to create the correct "blue flame", could be slightly blocked.

When the lid is open, there could be enough oxygen to go around inside the BBQ for this not to make a big impact (although I would still expect to see a more orange than blue flame with a deficiency of oxygen). But when the lid is closed and with the other burner consuming all the available oxygen, the fire goes out...

Is the flame on this burner more orange than the other one? In any case it would be worth checking for blockages everywhere between the burner controls and the jets. You may need a paperclip or similar to scratch around and blow things out etc. Just a thought before you lawyer up with Beefeater!
Mark2011

Post by Mark2011 »

If i were trouble shooting,
I would try replacing the regulator first.

If that happens, well normally when im trouble shooting gas issues, I replace the reg and they work like a charm.
If the BBQ is clean, you shouldn't be having this issue