Adding a temp guage to a Weber Q305

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
will_454

Adding a temp guage to a Weber Q305

Post by will_454 »

Has anyone added a hood mounted temperature gauge to their 300/305 Weber Q? They are readily available on ebay and alike for $5-10.

I was always planning on purchasing the 320, however the 305 came along at a price I couldn't resist.
Weber Q 305AU Natural Gas
Smokey

Re: Adding a temp guage to a Weber Q305

Post by Smokey »

will_454 wrote:Has anyone added a hood mounted temperature gauge to their 300/305 Weber Q? They are readily available on ebay and alike for $5-10.

I was always planning on purchasing the 320, however the 305 came along at a price I couldn't resist.
You might loose your warranty mate. I would check with weber first as drilling a hole though powder coated aluminium can lead to corosion streaks running from the cut seal (Hole)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Good call Mick.

Remember, certain metals are not compatible with each other, which will create a form of electrolysis.

That said, the latest Q200 I purchased second hand, cleaned and restored ready for sale, had a level of electrolysis happening around the lid to base hinge area,,,, all due to Webber's choice of using Stainless Steel Hinge pins :roll: :roll:

Go figure :idea:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
will_454

Post by will_454 »

Good point about the warranty, I have see a few 300 lids floating around on the second hand market, might be worthwhile purchasing one and keep the original in case I need it for warranty.
magste

Post by magste »

I have one on mine and no issues so far with warranty. Had a Weber tech change valves and stuff without commenting on the mod.

Sent from my Xperia Z1
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
will_454

Re:

Post by will_454 »

magste wrote:I have one on mine and no issues so far with warranty. Had a Weber tech change valves and stuff without commenting on the mod.

Sent from my Xperia Z1
I assume if anything adding an after market gauge it may only affect warranty directly regarding the lid and any corrosion that may occur from it.
magste

Post by magste »

Probably true. I wouldn't even think of claiming something like that.

Sent from my Xperia Z1
Magnus

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
will_454

Post by will_454 »

Yeah I still haven't ruled it out if I cannot find a spare lid at a decent price.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Also you are spending hundreds on the BBQ and $5 on a gauge. if you want accurate readings get a good gauge, better still use a probe, then you don't have to drill the lid!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
will_454

Post by will_454 »

urbangriller wrote:Also you are spending hundreds on the BBQ and $5 on a gauge. if you want accurate readings get a good gauge, better still use a probe, then you don't have to drill the lid!

Chris
That's the other way of looking at it, regardless of the quality the question really is how accurate are hood gauges in terms of temperature because of the distance between the gauge itself and the actual cooking surface where the temperature matters most.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

will_454 wrote:
urbangriller wrote:Also you are spending hundreds on the BBQ and $5 on a gauge. if you want accurate readings get a good gauge, better still use a probe, then you don't have to drill the lid!

Chris
That's the other way of looking at it, regardless of the quality the question really is how accurate are hood gauges in terms of temperature because of the distance between the gauge itself and the actual cooking surface where the temperature matters most.
I run a couple of Bunnies 4 bnr specials in BBQ School, one of them is the most efficient BBQ I own...the temp gauge sits rock solid at 220C no matter if I have a gas bottle connected to it or not!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
magste

Post by magste »

For me the gauge is just an indicator for things like steaks and pizza to know when it's hot enough to put the food on. If I need accurate temp control, like for roasts, a probe is the way to go.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
Magnus

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

"I run a couple of Bunnies 4 bnr specials in BBQ School, one of them is the most efficient BBQ I own...the temp gauge sits rock solid at 220C no matter if I have a gas bottle connected to it or not!"

PMSL :lol:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Why do you need a temp gauge?
The only reason I use mine 99% of the time is to check the temp when I preheat.

Use a probe for cooking, set the burner(s) on high, 3 stokes down from high or 3 up from low, low or off. The advantage is mainly the higher lid on the temp gauge models.

Captain
will_454

Post by will_454 »

all good points, looks like I'll be purchasing a probe instead.

Thanks for the feedback.