Charcoal efficiency

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
KJM

Charcoal efficiency

Post by KJM »

I have been burning Bunnings charcoal in my home made spit roast and BBQ. I find that it only burns for about 60 mins (with any sort of heat) and that only 75% of it burns leaving the rest as unburnt black lumps.
So if I am roasting a large piece of meat I have to top up the charcoal during cooking. This cause a lot of smoke and ruins the meat ie in my opinion anyway - I don't want smoked meat, I want roasted meat.

I have been thinking of
1. offsetting the fire and the rotisserie bar so that the fire is not directly below the meat
2. changing my brand of charcoal
3. mixing some heat beads with the charcoal
4. adding some very old dry cut up oak barrel stave wood to the mix
5. Making another steel chamber to fit on to the side of my firebox so that the meat and fire are at the same level

Any and all suggestions welcome.

KJM
12x7

Re: Charcoal efficiency

Post by 12x7 »

Heat beads are a good fuel to use as it puts out good heat and burns for a long time.

Mix in some robot turds, eg coconut and it will burn even longer.
cumagutsa

Post by cumagutsa »

Change brand!
I used to think charcoal was all the same until I got put on to a brand called CLEAN HEAT CHARCOAL, its a south African lump that burns clean and lasts for hours, apparently its used in a lot of competitions.
If you cant get hold of that then keep trying different brands until you get one you like.
You will definitely know when you get a good one.

Cheers, Darren
GoofballMcFunky

Post by GoofballMcFunky »

Great idea!! I'm gonna try a different brand for sure having a lot of trouble getting a consistent burn and heart. Cheers for the idea.
Beer and BBQ, nothing could be better!
Weber Compact on ghetto stand, Weber original 2 family and a BabyQ on a toolbox stand.