Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Soko

Post by Soko »

Hey all

I'm new to the site but keen as to get started , I'm planning on starting with my kettle, Iv researched a few cooking techniques and wanna jump in , I'd like to start with something fairly simple and get my confidence up lol , any suggestions on what I might attempt would be appreciated, cheers
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

Welcome, if you're talking low n slow I would start with a pulled pork. It's a very forgiving piece of meat. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beginner

Re: Newbie

Post by beginner »

First thing I did was an eye fillet, had no gadgets to assist so we counted out a precise number of heat beads, then calculated a cooking time based on the weight of the piece, was a very delicious success and easy enough. Think 2kgs of heat beads is recommended for roasting, placed on either side with the meat in the middle, I guess thats with vents open but I have no idea. These days I myself prefer to just dump beads in one basket and use a wireless probe to buzz when the meats ready. I rest for as long as time allows, if I can I'll rest it for the duration of the cooking time in an esky.
Soko

Post by Soko »

Cheers mate appreciate the feedback
    beginner

Post by beginner »

Let us know how you go! If you've got a drill installing a probe in the lid would be very worthwhile, if you don't want to drill it I see people just plonking them in through the vent holes. If you also use a probe to monitor the internal temperature of the meat you'll find it pretty much impossible to go wrong and have heaps of consistency on your side.

I've been using a maverick ET 7 for years and find it very solid, will likely grab one of the newer models sometime soon though. I also find a thermapen very handy to have around. I've tried a couple of gasmate wireless probes from bunnings and don't like them, the probes are very big and one of them no longer works, initially they did the job though.