Need spit tips!

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
beginner

Need spit tips!

Post by beginner »

Looks like this weekend I'll finally get a chance to test out the little setup setup I got for camping and to practice on before I go something full size. It's this one http://www.slotmein.com.au/products/thewedge/index.php and the motor I have is rated to 8KG.

Looking to get something on for 6 - 10 people, but it doesn't have to do the entire lot, I'll likely have stuff going in the smokers, kettles or the sweet Argentinian throughout the weekend. I've never really done spit before so could use some tips all round. Fuel will likely be heat beads, think I'm out of charcoal and won't have a chance this week to get my hands on any more, if there's some left though I'll use it. Most of my gadgets arn't geared toward spit, but the thermapen and an IR thermometer should be handy.

First question is how much heat I want at the point where it's reaching the meat? Even with the IR this seems difficult to measure, so could be a hand test? The Argentinian has given me a decent eye for adjusting grate height vs coals, I figure I'll follow something similar to a slower paced cook on that.

Second is some suggestions for what kind of stuff I can look at cooking! Don't really feel like doing a chook, prefer something a little different. Will have nothing to do but post up and drink beer, so all the cooking time in the world is available.
Michael_Dunn

Re: Need spit tips!

Post by Michael_Dunn »

start here
http://www.heatbeads.com.au/bbq-recipes ... pit-roast/

search the heat beads site, this site, youtube etc.
Captain

Post by Captain »

grab you self a silverside of beef. Give it a rub of your fancy. It's cheap and tasty and it wont take to long.
As for heat i check with my hand under the food. If i can keep my hand there for more than 8 seconds the spit needs to be lower or create more heat.
Enjoy your beers and week end.
Nothing to see here.
Swamptrout

Post by Swamptrout »

when I use my spit I use same temperature test as suggested by captain but with a 4 second rule.

Anything I put on it comes out tasting great.

on Saturday I did pork scotch with rub of garlic, onion, salt, pepper and smoky paprika.
on Sunday in a grill basket I did butterflied plain chicken and an ALDI boned mango chilli chicken.

I use my spit 2 or 3 times a week.
Captain

Post by Captain »

"2 or 3 times a week". That's impressive. I should use mine more often and I always enjoy cooking with it.
Maybe Sunday nights.
Nothing to see here.
beginner

Post by beginner »

Oh man, have not done silverside in ages and is an old favorite of mine, should be fantastic with an easy mash in this weather so think that decides it! It's the only dish I do using an electric slow cooker, no idea why, maybe because that's how mum showed me as a youngster. Any suggestion on target internal temp Captain? I mostly take it just to the point where it's about to break apart (8hrs 'low' in my SC), have never measured but I'm guessing that might be somewhere in the 80s, works nicely out of the pot. Going to be awesome to see how it comes up via the spit.

Might see about getting that pork scotch on as well, and hey how about a butterflied chook on the Argentinian, would make it quite a feast, I'm excited.
Last edited by beginner on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain

Post by Captain »

On the spit. I would be looking for 55c Med Rare. Make sure that what you buy is not Brined like you get as a Corned Beef /silverside. I believe you can do that but I have never tried.
Nothing to see here.
beginner

Post by beginner »

Too easy, went and got the pieces this morning and did select the raw silverside. Do you guys baste while cooking? I want to but seems it would wash the rub off.
Swamptrout

Post by Swamptrout »

I use a spray bottle with a fine spray so i don't physically have to touch it. Also i don't do my first spray for about half an hour or so. By that time the rub has crusted a bit so doesn't just wash/fall off.