Slow N Sear

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
12x7

Slow N Sear

Post by 12x7 »

Urban Griller has a new toy for Weber owners

The Slow N Sear

http://urbangriller.com.au/shop/charcoa ... er-kettle/

His students from BBQ school have been having fun with it.

There's a great write-up about it on Amazing Ribs

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... _sear.html

Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Slow N Sear

Post by Davo »

At $220 + frieght ends up being an exy bit of kit.

Looks very well designed.....but is it worth it compared to a couple of paver or fire bricks and a small tray of water.
And theres always the snake method.
I bought the craycourt cast irons grill grate from UG a few years back but haven't used it in 3 years....i now need to get a grinder brush to it to take off the surface rust.
I'd much prefer to spend that kind of money towards a rotiserie unit for the kettle.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Re: Slow N Sear

Post by 12x7 »

Davo wrote:At $220 + frieght ends up being an exy bit of kit.

Looks very well designed.....but is it worth it compared to a couple of paver or fire bricks and a small tray of water.
And theres always the snake method.
I bought the craycourt cast irons grill grate from UG a few years back but haven't used it in 3 years....i now need to get a grinder brush to it to take off the surface rust.
I'd much prefer to spend that kind of money towards a rotiserie unit for the kettle.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Davo
Expensive is a hard thing to equate with a Weber Kettle. It can be argued why spend $500 on a new kettle when a $20 oil drum could do the job. it is one of those debates like whether buying a Corolla vs a Lexus where both can get you from A to B. A lot of discussion can be had and more than likely there are many valid points on both sides.

The positive side to the SNS is that people who have used the snake for low and slow find it easier to use. It also does a good job searing. Is it worth the dollars? As usual up to the buyer.

I see the SNS as one of possible stepping stones as people evolve from basic Weber charcoal cooking to something else like a Kamado for low and slow.

There is another debate whether it is worthwhile to get the rotisserie for the Weber or is it better to get a standalone unit. :)

ps. bricks, drip tray and charcoal baskets work good !