Reliability of a Looftlighter vs Heatgun

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
OnTheChoppingBoard

Re: Reliability of a Looftlighter vs Heatgun

Post by OnTheChoppingBoard »

I bit the bullet and went shopping. tossed up between the cheapest Heat gun vs the Looftlighter.

The Looftlighter is a massive piece of equipment ;) - I picked this because it is safer, the heat source is much further away from your hands than the heat gun.

at $39 bucks, it's a great deal.

tested it with with 2 baskets filled with Mallee Root... damn, it's quick to get it started. Took me no more than 5 minutes to get BOTH raring hot.

SOO easy. My gas burner is not going to be touched anymore if I can start my Weber OTG in 5 minutes flat.
Hayes from The Chopping Board (http://www.onthechoppingboard.com - Adelaide food and restaurant blog)
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

peteru wrote:
Shane_H wrote:I have used a looftlighter for about 6-8 months and only recently invested in a chimney... man the chimney leaves it for dead if you want to get a bbq up to temp, by lighting a few spots with the looftlighter and waiting for it to get up to say 180c is prob at least 1/2 hr... with a chimney would be no more than 10-15min... id reccomend go straight to the chimney, i barely use the looftlighter anymore
WTF? Are you using the Looftlighter properly?

It takes me less than 5 minutes of continuous Looftlighter use to get a Kamado roaring. Light one spot just off centre, then back off and fan the flames through all the other charcoal, pointing in at around 45 degrees downwards and across the pile. It's very quick to get an inferno going if you use it like you would use bellows in a furnace.
Yep, agree with this. Looft for me 8)
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Keep your looftlighter box and receipt just in case.

I've had two of them die within their 12 month warranty period. It was the fan on both units that died.

My $15 no name heat gun is still going strong after 9 months or so and I think it is just as safe, as long as you pull back once you get a spot going.

Heatgun or looft are great for roasting, but I prefer to use a chimney when getting the charcoal grill ready.

Financially: Chimney + Cheap heatgun = Looft.