A different Firebrand question

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Gazza1

A different Firebrand question

Post by Gazza1 »

Manged to get some Firebrand in Melbourne a few weeks ago but am having a hell of a time lighting it for use in the Kamado.

Tried the firelighters in the Kamado, firelighters in the chimney (as per the directions on the box) and the chimney over the gas wok burner for 5 mins. The stuff is so dense it seems like it was never meant to burn.it might catch on edges but doesn't progress like lump. :(

Any suggestions on this?
Beefeater 4 burner entirely with Grillgrates . Wok side burner. No hotplate.
Komodo Kamado.
Gumb

Re: A different Firebrand question

Post by Gumb »

Put layer of hot shots or heat beads or lump at the bottom of the chimney and they will light up and then the firebrand will go too. You are right, they take some lighting, particularly the lot I picked up cheap in Kilsyth which look like they were a bit exposed to the weather judging from the packaging. Maybe they have soaked up some moisture too. Anyway, once going, they are really good. (I tried firelighters in the chimney too, same result, it went out.)

I've used lots of different firefighting tools but I really love the electric fork type lighter I got recently from smoke king BBQs. Just put the firebrand over it inside the kamado, turn it on, go prep the food and 20 minutes later she's firing.
Gazza1

Post by Gazza1 »

Thanks....... yes I got mine from Kilsyth too........If it seem too good to be true........ etc etc.

I've got one of those electric prong things too. Works pretty well but you can't beat a heat gun.

Neither of them touched the Firebrand. It was like trying to light stainless steel !

A mate thought that restaurants must lay it out over their gas jets to get it to go then just keep topping it up as needed.

I'll try some lump at the bottom of the kamado and use it as a firelighter.

Gee I've got a lot of it though.........
Komodo Kamado.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Gazza1 wrote:Thanks....... yes I got mine from Kilsyth too........If it seem too good to be true........ etc etc.

I've got one of those electric prong things too. Works pretty well but you can't beat a heat gun.

Neither of them touched the Firebrand. It was like trying to light stainless steel !

A mate thought that restaurants must lay it out over their gas jets to get it to go then just keep topping it up as needed.

I'll try some lump at the bottom of the kamado and use it as a firelighter.

Gee I've got a lot of it though.........
If you are lighting your Kamado from the bottom, you are doing it wrong.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I put the fire fork in last night and it did take a long time to light the firebrand but if you put the used bits from the last cook on the tongs, they go off quickly.
Gazza1

Post by Gazza1 »

Fired up last night by starting a mall amount of lump with a heat gun and then laying the firebrand on top. Because we were doing a tandoori chicken on skewers over the open charcoal I left the lid open and it took off like a Bondi!!! Stunning.

Think I've found the answer. Thanks for your help.
Komodo Kamado.