OK, here’s my little effort, it was a late one last night so I’m a little shakey. My intention was to have some aussie favourites but with a nod to the world we live in.Entry #5
The menu wasKofta Sliders
– charcoal grilled lamb kofta with bush herbs served on a mini roll with mint yogurt sauce, Fat Yak Pale Ale and hot mustard sauce with and avocado dressing – Beer - Grand Ridge Natural BlondeLamb Sausage and Pumpkin Risotto
– home made lamb and lager sausage in a pumpkin and India Pale Ale risotto cooked on charcoal – Beer - Mountain Goat India Pale Ale Black and Tan Lamb
– a Traeger roasted (Beer pellets first then Mesquite) boned leg of lamb, seasoned with bush herbs and served with roast potatoes with a Black and Tan sauce – Beer – started with Black and Tan of course but switched to Redoak Honey AleChocolate Ganach Pizza
and Sheep Yogurt Pannacotta
– a spectacular finisher, pizza base used lamb lard rendered using Redoak Honey Ale and baked in the Traeger (pecan pellets) – Beer – Redoak Christmas Cheer - The beer food match was phenomenal, a real hit.
The day was complicated a little by a dear friend who won’t eat mammal but loves food so she got Charcoal Grilled scallops with Spicy Avocado Salsa
– Pumpkin Risotto sans sausage
– Bush Dukkah Blackened Salmon
and Bali Coconut pancakes
And here's how it was doneLamb Kofta
I was intending to use normal lamb mince for these but when I was quoted $30 per kilo I went and bought lamb and cheese patties from Woollies. These were deconstructed then I added minced garlic, rainforest bush herb mix and parsley. Cooked over charcoal and served with a Beer Mustard sauce, a mint yogurt sauce and sprinkled with an avocado salsa. This sounds like too much but it melded beautifully.
Beer Mustard Sauce
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 tsp olive oil
• Salt & pepper
• 1 cup lamb stock
• 1 bottle Fat Yak Pale Ale
• 1 tbl golden syrup
• 1 tbl Hot Whiskey grain mustard
• 1 tbl Dijon Grain mustard
• 2 tsp cornflour
Heat lamb stock and 1 cup beer, stir in syrup and garlic. Bring to a boil and reduce by half. Add mustards. Combine cornflour and 2 tablespoons beer, drink rest. Add to the sauce in the pan and whisk until thickened. Season to taste. Mint Yogurt Sauce
• 1 cup natural sheep yogurt
• ½ cup mint leaves
• 1 clove garlic minced
• 1 tbl lemon juice
• Salt & pepper
Whisk together an hour or so before you need it. Refrigerate until ready Spicy Avocado Salsa
• 1 avocado diced
• Juice of 1 lime
• 3 Roma tomatoes seeded & diced
• ¼ cup coriander chopped
• 1 Thai chilli, seeded & fine chopped
• Salt & Pepper
Mix & refrigerateLamb Sausage and Pumpkin Risotto
I made the sausages a couple of weeks before. I loath using sheep casings but it had to be done. The Mountain Goat India Pale Ale was fantastic, a truly excellent and world class IPA.
• 4 slices brown or rye bread, crusts removed
• 300 ml Grand Ridge Natural Blonde wheat beer
• 1.2 kg Lamb shank meat
• Marrow from the shank bones
• 1 brown onion, peeled and quartered
• 7 anchovies
• ¼ cup chopped fresh rosemary
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Sheep casings
Soak the bread in the beer for a few minutes then squeeze out most of the liquid and discard.
Mince lamb and reserve the bones. Take the bones and place in a lined baking tray and cook in Traeger at 350f using hickory for15 minutes to soften the marrow
Blend remaining ingredient then combine all with a couple of tablespoons of salt and pepper, add more than you think!
Test a little pattie until the flavours are right
Stuff into the casings
• 2 Italian lamb sausage
• 1 small butternut pumpkin diced
• 1 bottle Mountain Goat IPA
• 1 cup arborio rice
• Chicken Stock, hot
• 1 minced shallot
• 6 sprigs rosemary
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1tbsp butter
This is standard risotto technique, on the charcoal grill, nothing difficult and went down a treat.
Brown butternut pumpkin, reduce the heat and add a minced shallot. Don’t be too rough because the pumpkin will break down.
Mix in Arborio and allow to glaze for as couple of minutes. At this point I separated out some of the mix and cooked a vego version at the same time.
Squeeze nubs of lamb sausage into the pan.
Deglaze the pans with 1/2 the bottle and drink the rest.
From here on out it's back to the regular risotto routine. Add chopped the rosemary, grated parmesan and butter. Season to taste and serve immediately. This is quite a rich dish and so the servings were quite small.
Obviously, it was washed down with more IPA.Black and Tan Leg of lamb
• leg of lamb, boned, butterflied, (reserve bone and trimmings for sauce)
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 3/4 cup chopped peeled carrots
• 1 1/2 cups lamb stock broth
• 1 cup Grand Ridge Black and Tan
• 2 tablespoons honey mustard
• 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
• 3 tablespoons Lemon myrtle bush herb mix
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 tbl honey
Roast lamb bone, trimmings, onion, and carrots in Traeger at 350°F using pecan until browned, about 1 hour.
add stock and deglaze pan, bring to boil, strain into medium saucepan and discard solids Add Black and Tan and mustard; reduce to 3/4 cup
rub balsamic over lamb and rub in seasonings.
Roast in Traeger using pecan at 350F to 125F at thickest point. Foil and place in esky till ready but at least 20 minutes
At the same time roast potatoes in duck fat on rimmed baking sheet.
Reheat sauce with butter and honey (I used leatherwood)Chocolate Ganashe Dessert Pizza
The base is basically a biscuit dough made with a mix of lamb and pork lard and butter. I rendered the lard and used Redoak Honey Ale instead of water. I was dubious about this and only did it for the sake of using the ingredients but yeastiness and sweetness of the ale made the lamb lard smell quite biscuity.
• ½ cup lard (mix of lamb, pork and butter but any of these would work)
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 eggs
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 4 cups plain flour
• ½ cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
cream together the lard, sugar and eggs. Add the milk and vanilla essence and mix thoroughly.
Gradually sift in the baking powder and flour and then mix until thoroughly blended.
I used a biscuit sheet and a vented pizza tray sprayed with oil.
Press dough onto cooking sheet evenly and then bake in Traeger unsing pecan at 350F for approximately 25 minutes swapping the round at halfway (the right is hotter than the left) or until the crust is golden brown in color. Remove from heat.
When cool top with Ganache, strawberries and sour cherries, grated white chocolate and toasted hazelnuts
• 8 ounces 80% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
• 4 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
• 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
• 1 cup pouring cream
• 3 tbl white sugar
• 1/4 tsp salt
Place chocolate and butter in a medium bowl
Heat cream, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves and liquid is just at a simmer
Pour cream mixture over chocolate and butter and fold until melted and combined
Cool then spread on pizza base, allow the girls to lick the spoon cherry-vodka sauce
• A bottle of sour cherries pipped
• A punnet of strawberries cut in half
• 1/2 cup passionfruit vodka
• 6 tbl sugar
Place strawberries cherries, vodka, sugar, and reserved vanilla bean from the crust in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cherries start to break down and syrup thickens
Top the pizza, I used the sauce and some of the strawberries in the pannacottaSheep Milk Yogurt Pannacotta
• 300 ml pouring cream
• 250ml sheep milk yogurt
• 2 tbl honey (I used leatherwood again)
• 3 gelatine leaves softened in cold water
Heat honey and gelatine together until gelatine dissolves, Whisk cream and yogurt together, fold in honey mixture, pour into espresso cups and refrigerate for about 5 hours. Top with a strawberry and the vodka sauce from the pizza mix