Weber Baby Q frame MELTS to the ground

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Captain Cook

Re: Weber Baby Q frame MELTS to the ground

Post by Captain Cook »

Mainey . . . wrote::mrgreen:

Re the aluminium oil/fat replacement containers that are situated under the baby Q :roll:

.............. :arrow: Does anyone know of a generic container that does fit the Baby Q weber ????

I don't want to drive the almost 100 Km just to get some replacement trays/containers :cry:
I use a doubled over sheet of foil fitted into the aluminium holder and replace it regularly.

Captain
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Captain Cook wrote:
I use a doubled over sheet of foil fitted into the aluminium holder and replace it regularly.

Captain

Ok, will have to do that on Xmas day if can't get real trays :D
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Mainey . . . wrote:
Captain Cook wrote:

Captain

Ok, will have to do that on Xmas day if can't get real trays :D
I use the generic brand foil trays available from the cheap shops; for example Cheap as Chips. The top edge of the tray folds back slightly on to the "holder", as the trays are slightly higher than the original Weber ones.

However, after each BBQ I always wipe out the tray and I have found that one will last for a considerable time.

I assume the Baby Q uses the same tray as the Family Q and I assume the latest Qs use the same tray as the previous model.

Enjoy the new Weber!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yes they all use the same tray size.

Any Coles or woolies would have similar sizes......I place kitty litter or fat absorb in them but I find even the Weber foil trays leak oils after a while and it gets in between the foil tray and holder.....just a wash and wipe out but it's still a bit of a nuisance to have to do this.

Mainey...hope you have a great time with your new Weber Q with no more fire shows :P

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:D

Thank's guys

Now here comes the silly season :roll:
as if I need an excuse :lol:
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Found these trays ( Weber tray is on left with IGA tray on the right ) at IGA supermarket
They are same base size but are taller :)
They still fit under the Baby 'Q' in the same metal tray holder

Original weber bbq tray on right - IGA bbq tray on left is a bit taller but same base size :)
Original weber bbq tray on right - IGA bbq tray on left is a bit taller but same base size :)
Weber & IGA BBQ trays.jpg (96.11 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
WEBER tray IS marked with the name Weber on it's base and is on the LEFT in this photo :(
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

Mainey . . . wrote:How bloody unlucky can you get :oops:

I was told by the receptionist..... she would send a new grill after looking up my file etc

This confirms to me the value of good service to customers :D

New grill plates arrived today, just as I was promised by weber

A Xmas wish has actually come true

Thank you Weber :D :D
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Mainey . . . wrote:
Mainey . . . wrote:How bloody unlucky can you get :oops:

I was told by the receptionist..... she would send a new grill after looking up my file etc

This confirms to me the value of good service to customers :D

New grill plates arrived today, just as I was promised by weber

A Xmas wish has actually come true

Thank you Weber :D :D
Good work Weber Australia!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

If a company looked after me like that i would be writing to them with heartfelt appreciation.

As you could imagine, following the meltdown, pics, new weber Q and replacement grates to get you grilling by Xmas day is an amazing feat considering how busy this time of year is.
What mymonaro just said is worth repeating...Good Work Weber !!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Davo wrote:If a company looked after me like that i would be writing to them with heartfelt appreciation.

As you could imagine, following the meltdown, pics, new weber Q and replacement grates to get you grilling by Xmas day is an amazing feat considering how busy this time of year is.
What mymonaro just said is worth repeating...Good Work Weber !!

Cheers

Davo
:D :) 8) :lol: :P :wink:
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

Wow. A sobering story to read. I hadn't thought there was too much risk of this, as long as I scraped it out every now and then. Will be a bit more diligent from now on.

We had a big fat fire in our old 4 burner. After that, I cook a bit further away from the house.

Glad things didn't get worse for you Mainey, and that Weber came to the party. I have read similar stories re Weber service in the past, can't think of too many companies that could be relied on to do the same.
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:twisted:

Swapped the two new griddles sent from webber, for my old/original griddles from the weber dealer, direct out of his garbage I understand :)

I did it because I thought the replacement griddles I received, appeared to be thinner and lighter than the old/original griddles left in the burnt out weber baby Q

when I got home tonight I looked and sure thing - the old are thicker bars and placed closer together too :)

The bars on the 'new' griddle are a full millimeter thinner and the gaps between griddle bars are a full millimeter further apart, when compared to the old griddle bars :(

There are 10 griddle bars so you can see the variation is ~1 x centimeter, if I have the adds correct ?

The available area that holds up the meat is thinner, looking much more like the Ziggy griddle.

It could be just a bit of a problem with manufacturing, or it could be a way of saving $$