Has this ever happenned to you?

Any general items, polls
Davo
Forum Administrator

Has this ever happenned to you?

Post by Davo »

In the middle of 2015, in the Hunter Valley & Newcastle areas, the weather was atrocious with massive floods through Dungog & Stroud, towns ripped apart from the fury of Mother nature but it also had effects on the not so dismal side such as Mould.
Months of wet and damp weather brought lots of mould and this is what I found when I lifted up the lid of my WSM :shock: .

Note: The pics come into the forum in the size of thumbnails and to look at them need to be clicked and they go into a full sized image. Lockyer suggested the use of this uploading programme ImageBam and yeah it's faster than Photobucket but they don't put the full sized images into the forum..more testing is needed if i'm doing this right. This was a test topic to test this new image loader....but the event is real :?

Needless to say I went into panic mode wondering what i'm going to do about this dilemma....never had this happen before in my BBQing life...went to ask the questions to the guys at the Weber Bulletin board and they mentioned to use 50/50 clove oil to water in a spray and give it a good hit...wait about 48 hours then light the BBQ up and burn it out....well I did what they suggested and bugger me...it worked...it really worked but I must say, anyone ever smelt that clove oil....holy moly....it certainly makes the senses come alive....pew!! Not something you'd want to do on a regular basis. Clove oil can be bought in most pharmacies.

Once the burnout had been done, I took out the grates and gave them a good washing and dried in the sun.

This thank heavens ended my dilemma.
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
lockyer

Re: Has this ever happenned to you?

Post by lockyer »

Note: The pics come into the forum in the size of thumbnails and to look at them need to be clicked and they go into a full sized image. Lockyer suggested the use of this uploading programme ImageBam and yeah it's faster than Photobucket but they don't put the full sized images into the forum..more testing is needed if i'm doing this right.
A quick side track...mould yes been there will chat later. In Imagebarn(I setup an account) in the tab up the top go to setting and in Thumbnail size click the drop box and click 350x350 and your pic's will be bigger. If no account you do the same in the "basic upload" tab in the thumbnail options section. give that a try

Cheers L
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

lockyer wrote:
Note: The pics come into the forum in the size of thumbnails and to look at them need to be clicked and they go into a full sized image. Lockyer suggested the use of this uploading programme ImageBam and yeah it's faster than Photobucket but they don't put the full sized images into the forum..more testing is needed if i'm doing this right.
A quick side track...mould yes been there will chat later. In Imagebarn(I setup an account) in the tab up the top go to setting and in Thumbnail size click the drop box and click 350x350 and your pic's will be bigger. If no account you do the same in the "basic upload" tab in the thumbnail options section. give that a try

Cheers L
Thanks L, yeah I too have set up an account..will give that a go tonight....in the meantime...it's lunchtime at our fave Vietnamese joint :P

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

We suffered the same issue in 2001 and again in 2013 after major rain events. Our outdoor furniture and cushion looked shocking and it took some cleaning - bleach will work but will take colours out of fabric, so we hit it all with glen 20 and scrub it with a wool wash and a disinfectant. We tossed 2 Dri as a bone coats, one day they had a bit of mould and the next we had cousin "IT" x 2 !! :o so drop them into the waste bin.

Yet today it is the total opposite - the tree's and chasing the dogs again...

Cheers L

PS If you haven't read this, go to the bottom of the page - Yes I'm cheating it is about WSM but the Pro Q is almost a straight knock off
http://virtualweberbullet.com/cleanup.html
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I will admit that I probably didn't clean it after the cook-up but I rarely do, I usually just burn it off before the next session....it's just that I hadn't used it due to the long wet....I had the vents closed to stop water entering the smoker and that caused the mould to happen...if i'd have kept vents opened it would've been ok but the rain was driven by wind in those storms and even though my smoker was tucked away under a decent sized awning, the water still got in through the fire door.

That clove oil is good stuff but jeez wear a mask coz the smell of that stuff will knock ya out :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Madam Lush, The cleaning guru says oil of clove is the only stuff that will totally kill mold.
You only need a few drops per liter of water as a spray.
Ive used it and it does work. Particularity on porous surfaces like walls and clothes. Its expensive but one little bottle makes a hell of a lot of mold spray.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
titch

Post by titch »

Toothache? oil of Cloves. works awesome, its all we had in the sticks as a kid
Mold? oil of Cloves or vinegar
Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

She says oil of cloves. Cant find her book right now but will post the mix when I find it
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Smokey wrote:Madam Lush, The cleaning guru says oil of clove is the only stuff that will totally kill mold.
You only need a few drops per liter of water as a spray.
Ive used it and it does work. Particularity on porous surfaces like walls and clothes. Its expensive but one little bottle makes a hell of a lot of mold spray.
Yeah you're right Mick, it was just a few drops in a spray bottle and the rest water....jeez my memory ain't the best lately...kinda scary!! :shock:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

I get mould all the time in my smoker Davo, nearly always from not cleaning it after a cook. I just wash it out and give it another run. Never been crook or had any off flavours or anything. If it's on my grates I usually hit them with the pressure washer and they come up sparkling. I then make sure they are completely dry, usually a whole day, all separated in the sun and wind and then, here's the kicker, when you put it all back together to store it again, leave all the vents wide open. I read it somewhere else, it allows airflow and doesn't let the moisture sit and the mould is less likely to grow. It's the not cleaning of the smoker that will produce the mould though. I dunno about you blokes but after I've waited all day, cooked up an epic feed then overeaten and washed it down with a couple of litres of your favourite booze, the last thing I wanna do is go and clean the smoker. It's lazy I know but it's the truth

Hope this helps