keeping the BBQ forum going

Any general items, polls
Davo
Forum Administrator

keeping the BBQ forum going

Post by Davo »

Hi Members new & Old,

Having a lot of thought about this forum, yes I was about to give up on it just as many others have already done so....only 8 years ago this forum began and it was the very first Australian BBQ forum...this forum was huge with a massive member base.....but things happened....Vendors were allowed in, many members arched up and lots of infighting began....members who were great mates before hand became bitter ....it became toxic.
Even the Moderator team was fractured with taking sides....yes I was amongst it all and it was a torrid time for all concerned.

The forum has been dying for at least the past 3 years as many of the original members here began their own forums making it into the type of forum they wanted to be part of and what this forum was no longer giving them.

We've always tried to keep this a learning environment for the new BBQers who came here looking for advice....for this forum was very good with many of the members looking after and teaching and sharing with each other...this is what a forum should be like.

Anyway....the forum is NOT dead yet....some of you newer members seem keen to be here and to talk BBQ and this got me thinking....maybe it's time for a new BBQ community...back to basics if you will.

But...I can't do this by myself...it must happen with the help and motivation of every member who still remains here to build this forum up to be a fantastic BBQ community it once was...new members, new personalities....get your mates to join in....I may also need another admin/ moderator who is familiar with working these kinds of forums.
This forum is pretty old style format....but nothing wrong with that....it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles.

So...now you know some of the history of what went wrong here.....and if you think there's some hope of rebuilding this forum.....then let me know if you wish to help out otherwise it will die completely and may eventually be lost forever if the owner should pull the plug on it.

By the way....the OWNER PaulR never gets involved in the forum....so don't expect miracles :roll:

This forum will also go back to not allowing any vendors to sell to members...I think these days we can all resource new products elsewhere on the internet....so to get the ball rolling, I have already deleted the entire Vendor Forum as it has not been used for some time...so it's gone!!
No More vendors here...sorry...just talking BBQ without the distractions... I want to thank Smokey for the Motivation on this because he won't allow Vendors on his forum either.

So existing Members...I'm keen if you all are to get this forum back into the land of living...the ball is now in your court!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Performer Kettle - Sage Green
Weber Mastertouch Plus - Deep Ocean Blue
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
lockyer

Re: keeping the BBQ forum going

Post by lockyer »

WOW.... :o

Good Morning Davo...I need a coffee after reading that, back in a minute...
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

Well Davo
I'm keen to see the forum go on and I have a few opinions about what MAY help with keeping it going. I was not around when WW3 kicked off and I am glad I didn't see it. I had noticed a lot of new topic threads ie Vendors and comps etc had appeared on the forum while I've been missing in action. Back in 2011/12 I think the biggest thing going on was whether charcoal was better then heat beads and who had the best charcoal :o

In my humble opinion I would like to see the forum be for all the backyard punters and have no competitions, and no vendors either as members or selling. I would remove the "Events" and Forum Only Comp" topic's too.
Anyone should be able to join and ask anything and get un-bias response/answers. It should feel like we are all sitting around in someone yards having a cool beverage and talking about BBQ's and cooking with loads of laughs and good music.
I think having a for sale section is fine but only members S/H BBQ stuff for sale - Must be BBQ related.
I have no chance of helping out with the forums operation or the running of it but as I work from a home office will be happy to post up when every I can.
Time to do a bit of work have a phone call to sort out...

Cheers L
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

I am definitely keen to see this forum up and running. But like Davo said, it's really up to the members. We all need to start posting our cooks! Even if you only BBQ once a week and it's a dirty old snag, put it up! And people have to comment on these posts. So many times there has been 80 views on things and no comments? WTF is up with that? We all need to Be respectful of people who go to the trouble to post cooks for others to see.

I'm not much of a computer person. I do most of my stuff from the phone. So not sure how I could help out "mod" wise. But I will do what I can.

Davo, I have noticed I can't log on through Tapatalk now? Any idea what's happened there?

Pesto
titch

Post by titch »

I would struggle to find any fault with this post.
Well thought out Lockyer
I have had the pleasure to meet a couple of the so called vendors, nice blokes but generally speaking,more about money and product.
I,m in if your genuine Davo, Lets make mountain Mick Proud and continue his recipes

lockyer wrote:Well Davo
I'm keen to see the forum go on and I have a few opinions about what MAY help with keeping it going. I was not around when WW3 kicked off and I am glad I didn't see it. I had noticed a lot of new topic threads ie Vendors and comps etc had appeared on the forum while I've been missing in action. Back in 2011/12 I think the biggest thing going on was whether charcoal was better then heat beads and who had the best charcoal :o

In my humble opinion I would like to see the forum be for all the backyard punters and have no competitions, and no vendors either as members or selling. I would remove the "Events" and Forum Only Comp" topic's too.
Anyone should be able to join and ask anything and get un-bias response/answers. It should feel like we are all sitting around in someone yards having a cool beverage and talking about BBQ's and cooking with loads of laughs and good music.
I think having a for sale section is fine but only members S/H BBQ stuff for sale - Must be BBQ related.
I have no chance of helping out with the forums operation or the running of it but as I work from a home office will be happy to post up when every I can.
Time to do a bit of work have a phone call to sort out...

Cheers L
Cheers
Titch
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

I would like this forum to continue. I check in daily for any "recent" posts. I know when I first bought my Weber Family Q back in 2012 (I think that was the year), I went looking for anything and everything I could find on the net and I surfed into this forum and found the threads very interesting and helpful.

If there is anything Mod that I can do to support the running of this forum, please ask.

Geoff
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day all,
I haven't posted here recently, or a lot, but I would like to see this forum keep on keeping on.
Some observations I have made since being a member here, some of which I think have prevented a greater participation rate. I'm not saying that I'm right, these are just my thoughts.

- This forum seems to have lost it's way as it's gotten older (like a lot of us I spose :lol: ).
It started off being a place to swap ideas and thoughts, put some pictures and recipes up and have a relaxed, good time. As more people joined, the forum seemed to become fractured or splintered into different groups, with different ideas and approaches to what they thought was 'BBQ'. Some within these groups thought that only their opinion was the 'right' one, and they made sure that if your opinion differed to the 'right' one, you were ostracized.

- There was a lack of moderation (by members and moderators), with some people being allowed to seemingly get away with murder on the forum (metaphorically speaking), while others were jumped on from a great height for expressing a point of view. We're all adults here and we shouldn't need someone threatening us with a big stick for stepping out of line. There should be enough respect for other people's opinions and point's of view, and to not type something on a forum that you wouldn't say to someone's face. On the flip side of that, people sometimes need a thicker skin and be able to engage in some friendly banter.

- The forum became a bit of a Turkish bazaar, with some stealth advertising (and stealth members) creeping into some forum posts. When certain people spoke up about it, they were jumped on.

- There was a couple of what I'll call 'core/old/founding members' that left the forum, possibly because of points made above. This exodus created a vacuum, which the rest of the forum members struggled to fill. This 'core group' were also frequent posters that had a wealth of knowledge to share, and when they left, the frequency of posts left with them.

As I said, these are just my thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree with them. I can take it, I'm a big boy :lol: .
I would hope that this forum goes ahead, as it's where I (as I'm sure a lot of others) have cut their teeth on the way to BBQ bliss.
All the best,
Steve
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I would consider every post above as like minded to why I did what I did. And happy I did.
The people above, IMO have what it takes to run a forum, Or at least write a constitution for one.
You guys can do this using your hearts as the guide. Live and learn, I know I did.
However, One of you needs to totally own the forum. It needs an admin with your interests in mind.
The torch needs to be passed on and historically this has been an issue with the current owner.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Michael_Dunn

Post by Michael_Dunn »

This (current format) forum has 100000+ posts about BBQ-ing, and is likely
to be top-of-the-pops in any google-BBQ search, so, if it is to survive (and grow)
it needs to attract the attention of the 'searchers' once they are here, so they
will return to have another look, and, hopefully, put up a post or three.

A couple of forum names that might get their attention:
"BBQ Basics - for those new to a BBQ style"
for those new to BBQ-ing, or those experienced in one style e.g. kettles,
but new to another e.g. kamados

"New Products"
anything new - details, price, where-to-buy, vendors OK, just no comparisons.

with very little posting activity, forums like 'what-did-you-cook' are a waste of
time and space (sorry Pesto3), unless they're accompanied by detailed
step-by-step instuctions to the final product, so others can comment on
variations.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I won't go with the quoting here but I agree with everything that's been said...especially Lovey's post.

Yes being the Moderator for most of the time when it all went pear shaped was an experience I never want to live through again, and yes I felt at the time I had to swipe the big stick on some of the forum members....I truly wish I hadn't had to do that....

So I've decided that if we get this Mothership back on track and do a bit of panel beating, a bit of mechanical work ad whatever is required, then I'm just going to go with the flow....I've broken the stick...altho it's marvellous what a couple of rolls of electrical tape can fix up :lol: :wink: :P

Nah...I just want this forum to get back to the basics of how and when it began....just a good place to hang out and talk BBQ.

No more vendors or Vendor's Interests will be one of my rules....as you can see, I eliminated all vendor sections on this forum, it'll be for members only....I may have to add a rule regarding business listing in signatures...anyone have any thoughts on that? Yay or nay?

As Lovey Stated, we are all adults here.....we should be able to regulate or handle ourselves here in the best interests of the forum.

As for the Owner....yeah well that's a toughy...Paulr has never really been involved within the forum apart from doing some tweaking that I can't do, I couldn't take over this forum myself because quite frankly, I just don't have enough puter or programme training to handle the difficult stuff and I don't know any other techies. I will however press him to do more for the forum even if he doesn't post...he needs to update it badly....
I've always pretty much had a free reign here but if I don't understand something, then I get him to do it.

It's been hard, I've wanted to walk away many times...but this forum was more my baby than it was the owner's......but I've gotten new motivation from you guys to keep it going and make it better....as long as you guys want it...I'm happy to look after it.

I may not be able to post a lot though because presently I'm working very long hours, leave home before 6am and get home after 8.30 pm and sometimes after Midnight if I get the arvo shift...minimum 12 hours away from home so please bare with me...I often view the forum on mobile and can do a little but a mobile is a pain in the arse to work a forum sometimes...trying to save up for a tablet or lappy.

Finally tonight I want to say thankyou for all your support in wanting to make this a better place and keep it going...hopefully we can do it together and have some fun.

Cheers and good night....way past my bed time :lol:

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Michael_Dunn wrote:This (current format) forum has 100000+ posts about BBQ-ing, and is likely
to be top-of-the-pops in any google-BBQ search, so, if it is to survive (and grow)
it needs to attract the attention of the 'searchers' once they are here, so they
will return to have another look, and, hopefully, put up a post or three.

A couple of forum names that might get their attention:
"BBQ Basics - for those new to a BBQ style"
for those new to BBQ-ing, or those experienced in one style e.g. kettles,
but new to another e.g. kamados

"New Products"
anything new - details, price, where-to-buy, vendors OK, just no comparisons.

with very little posting activity, forums like 'what-did-you-cook' are a waste of
time and space (sorry Pesto3), unless they're accompanied by detailed
step-by-step instuctions to the final product, so others can comment on
variations.

Great ideas Michael ...thanks...I'll be keeping this in mind.....top suggestions!!

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Jumbo Joe - black
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

No more vendors or Vendor's Interests will be one of my rules....as you can see, I eliminated all vendor sections on this forum, it'll be for members only....I may have to add a rule regarding business listing in signatures...anyone have any thoughts on that? Yay or nay?
On another forum(fishing) I'm am a member with, they set the rule for signatures to "no links" and only personal info and equipment used, this took place a few years back. I also think that there should be no pictures or photo's in the signatures, just my thoughts. :)

See my signature below, it has my name and what I burn food with.....Ooops sorry cook with :D

Cheers L
Captain

Post by Captain »

I'm for keeping the forum going. With it's name being what it is how could I not.
I believe it needs to be more easily interactive though.
Nothing to see here.
KenB

Post by KenB »

When someone posts openly about stealing a supermarket trolley to make a BBQ stand, and the post is still there some weeks later points to a forum with problems! I am not a regular contributor by any means (seen one chop, you've seen 'em all, especially my black ones!), but I do look in occasionally to see what's doing.

Davo, I think you are on the right track with your thinking re the future of the forum - a comfortable place for mates to gather and chat about BBQ stuff. As far as commercial pages go - give 'em the flick, but to avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater, you could maybe allow commercial vendors as members with the proviso that their interests are stated in their signature. Just an idea.

Best wishes with your plans, and the future of the forum.

Regards,
Ken
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

KenB wrote:When someone posts openly about stealing a supermarket trolley to make a BBQ stand, and the post is still there some weeks later points to a forum with problems! I am not a regular contributor by any means (seen one chop, you've seen 'em all, especially my black ones!), but I do look in occasionally to see what's doing.

Jeez Ken, where did you find that? I vaguely remember that but It was some time ago....I guess it possible to find it on the net somewhere but what the heck would one be searching to find it....google shopping trolleys? or shopping trolley grill. I did remember seeing one dude using a shopping trolley as the actual grill....pretty much redneck...I'd be buggered if I'd eat my meals on that...could've been floating in a drain for weeks if only knows :shock:

Davo, I think you are on the right track with your thinking re the future of the forum - a comfortable place for mates to gather and chat about BBQ stuff. As far as commercial pages go - give 'em the flick, but to avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater, you could maybe allow commercial vendors as members with the proviso that their interests are stated in their signature. Just an idea.

People who have bbq related businesses will be allowed here but not to flog their product...we've been through all that nonesense before, then it because a my product is better than yours...does yours have blah blah etc etc.....so if they wish to come here and enjoy the forum as members, that's fine but as long as they leave the salesman's jacket in the office and not on here.

If people PM them or email them about their product...that fine...normal course of business...just keep it off the forum.

Best wishes with your plans, and the future of the forum.

Regards,
Ken
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q3200 NG
Weber Jumbo Joe - black