Olive Oil on BBQ's

Any general items, polls
bbqmad

Re: Olive Oil on BBQ's

Post by bbqmad »

Smoky Mick wrote:Ahhhh, Some of us do like the flames to lick.
I will often induce a flare up if, Say cooking a steak to rare. I want the hot flame to sear the surface and give crunch.
For this I use a spray bottle of grape seed or rice bran oil mixed with a little lemon juice and worchistshire or soy.
I never squeeze the steak to get a flare up. I spray or just pour over the good stuff and let it dribble down below two the burners set to high.
This begs a question, Can this be done on a webber genisis? (Get flames up to the grill bars)
Mick

Yes you certaintly can get the flames up to the grill bars with a Genesis and beyond if you have to much oil on or spray in their....you can redesign your eyebrows quite easy, Errrr not that i'm admitting ive done that or anything :lol:

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

OK, Good, A genisis is back on the list for my next barby
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
mullo

Post by mullo »

I have finally seen the light, after always using olive oil and reading the posts here I bought some Carotino oil today and cooked some burgers and wedges for tea and what a differance taste this oil has no more olive oil on the BBQ.
Thanks for the good info.
Mullo
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

mullo wrote:I have finally seen the light, after always using olive oil and reading the posts here I bought some Carotino oil today and cooked some burgers and wedges for tea and what a differance taste this oil has no more olive oil on the BBQ.
Thanks for the good info.
Mullo
That's funny, I also bought a bottle of carotino oil at WW the other day and tried it out on the Q220.
I really liked the viscosity of the carotino oil, it is very dense and definitely gave more lift from the grill and was great to work the chicken around with.
As for taste, it is fine by being relatively bland and flavourless so still doesn't taste good like olive oil.
I'll happily use it in future with the obvious taste exception, vegetables. The potato was horrible using carotino, the zucchini also,no way I am doing that again, but happy to use it with chicken and red meats, not giving my approval on fish until I test it,
This olive oil issue is just bewildering to me and is a glaring anomaly.
I know in subjective issues that these things can really gain traction so I'll keep an open mind and keep trying stuff.

For example about why I say it is an anomaly, look through 3 or 4 pages of google search on the piri peri recipe and you will find that all 45-60 recipes on the first 4 pages including a handful in portuguese language ALL use olive oil. (OO=azeite in Portuguese)
The ONLY recipe I found that doesn't use olive oil is the one on this site.
If that isn't an anomaly I don't know what is. These cultures have been grilling with it for at least 6000 years.

The only other logical conclusion I can draw is that Smoky's description of flares and blackening fits EXACTLY what would happen with delicate Extra Virgin OO, which is a different beast altogether.
We just don't cook with Extra Virgin OO.
It is for dressings and vinagrettes and eating as is.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

If I was doing Piri Piri, Id use olive oil.
That blakened or chard finish is what it does well.
I would not however cook it on a western style bbq. Well, I would and have, But try not to.
Isnt piri piri traditionaly done over a simple wire grill on hot coals?
Ill use OO on the kettle because I can blast it with a pressure cleaner.
Cant do that with a gas bbq because you will send bits of crap up burners and jet lines until things get all funky.
What you are saying is right, You can cook with it and it is lovley oil on the taste buds, some cooking demands it.
But it will clog up a 4 burner and become rancid quiker then other oils.

BTW, I had no luck in finding Camelia oil, I settled with raw 100% linseed.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Smoky Mick wrote:If I was doing Piri Piri, Id use olive oil.
That blakened or chard finish is what it does well.
I would not however cook it on a western style bbq. Well, I would and have, But try not to.
Isnt piri piri traditionaly done over a simple wire grill on hot coals?
++++
Historically yes mate, but all these recipes are modern and used with BBQ's.
There were times back in history where I'm sure the Portuguese preferred cooking it over the smoking corpse of a Roman, Spaniard or Moor but you get that...
Ill use OO on the kettle because I can blast it with a pressure cleaner.
Cant do that with a gas bbq because you will send bits of crap up burners and jet lines until things get all funky.
What you are saying is right, You can cook with it and it is lovley oil on the taste buds, some cooking demands it.
But it will clog up a 4 burner and become rancid quiker then other oils.

BTW, I had no luck in finding Camelia oil, I settled with raw 100% linseed.
The silver lining for me is...I will still be able to get it sent over for free....but since it is a love exchange thing it still costs me in goodies like Arnotts, Tim Tams, Twinings herbals and so on :roll: :)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hey, Thats what family is for, We get Marzipan and lebekutchen (Baby cakes)from Berlin.
The kids hate it which is great for me, I love it :lol:
We send back good Australian wine for there "Garten partys" Ya
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

I have tried for good sake, begged even....but it always goes missing in 'customs' :evil:

Mick, I'm with the kids on this one, pretty sure the German relies are getting the better end of the stick :lol:
Snab

Post by Snab »

Use rice bran oil. 270C smoke point, no flavour, good for you and cheap.
Turkeys were meant to be the dominant species on Earth, but God made 'em too delicious
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Snab wrote:Use rice bran oil. 270C smoke point, no flavour, good for you and cheap.
You lost me at "no flavour"