keeping the BBQ forum going

Any general items, polls
Mainey . . .

Re: keeping the BBQ forum going

Post by Mainey . . . »

malceb05 wrote:So serious question guys, is this the best forum for a new and keen learner (just upgraded to a triple Ziggy and a trader pro 22 smoker)!!!

I was also a 'new member' some months ago, and I've found the advice, the instructions and friendly banter by helpful ppl a tremendous benefit to me :D :D

Having a Weber BBQ my question to you is, did you upgrade from a few burning sticks :lol: :lol:

(sh1t, hope this guy's got a soh as well as his Ziggy)

Did I say welcome :roll: :roll:
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
malceb05

Post by malceb05 »

Mainey . . . wrote:
malceb05 wrote:So serious question guys, is this the best forum for a new and keen learner (just upgraded to a triple Ziggy and a trader pro 22 smoker)!!!

I was also a 'new member' some months ago, and I've found the advice, the instructions and friendly banter by helpful ppl a tremendous benefit to me :D :D

Having a Weber BBQ my question to you is, did you upgrade from a few burning sticks :lol: :lol:

(sh1t, hope this guy's got a soh as well as his Ziggy)

Did I say welcome :roll: :roll:
Hhahahaha, you could say that..... Upgraded from our house warming present of 5 years a basic 4 burner Jumbuck....
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hi Members of the forum,

Having been an Admin & Moderator here and seen many changes to this forum, I'm sad to say I believe this forum's back has been broken.

With many original member's who were talented cooks, chefs and enthusiastic BBQers, who have gone on to create their own forums after a major bust up a few yes back, this forum has never really recovered from that....it's sad but these things happen.

This forum is old basic format and only certain things can be done, newer forums have so many ways of show & tell that this forum struggles with especially when the owner of this forum doesn't give a hoot about making improvements, I've tried to get him to update but he doesn't seem to really care about this forum at all.

I've tried to restore, get it back on track but with few members now, it seems futile.

My suggestion is to read what you can from this forum, it has a tonne of advice, recipes and techniques to learn, it'll become a good archive type forum but probably will be non- active.

I tried to give it my best guys but I now realise you're better off with other forums.

Micks forum is aussiecue.dudeworld.com...Mick was a very active member here in the good old days but started his own forum to combine the love of BBQ as well as being more about the food.
Pitmasters forum...just google it...it's run by a guy called Beaver from Melbourne, I've met this guy and he's a really good dude...loves his competition style BBQ

Smoke, Fire & Food forum was the last forum to be made from the remaining members from here, they wanted a more modern approach so 4 of them bandied together and made this forum.

Gooogle them, check em out and see what suits you best because I think this forum is now all but dead.

I'm sorry I just don't have the available time to resurrect this forum, my workday from home and back is 14 hours long so I'm sure you can understand I can't do this alone anymore...I've given 8 years of my life to this forum......but now I'm done!!

Thanks to all of you that tried to get some interest happening here, especially to Titch and Lockyer, but I think I realise when it's just not gonna happen anymore here :cry:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

Thanks for Trying Davo.Must be frustrating.
Anyone wants me I will be over here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php creating some Mayhem
Cheers
Titch
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

titch wrote: Anyone wants me I will be over here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php creating some Mayhem
Is it an Aussie site :?:
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
titch

Post by titch »

Nope, its American
Cheers
Titch
KBBQ

Post by KBBQ »

I agree this forum is finished, but has some great knowledge to look back on, so move on all and keep this for information only, the other forums a active and some great people and advice to be had
K
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Mainey . . . wrote:
titch wrote: Anyone wants me I will be over here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php creating some Mayhem
Is it an Aussie site :?:
Don't be so hard on where people park their asses mate. I'm a member of that forum too. It goes way too fast for me but it has a heap of old members from this forum. Aussies are very well represented there and the seppos love the humor and great food that those blokes contribute. Some of this forums best cooks call that place home now to my chargrin, I'd love them to embrace my forum as well. Lots did and thats just the way things ended up.
The most important thing is that we all took something away from this place and became better cooks because of each other.
I have learned a hell of a lot from this place. I am proud to be part of its history
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

:oops:

My only interest is in the Weber style of cooking with the lid closed, that's the only reason I've asked the question

Most non-Aussie BBQ forums do have heaps of other information, most not relevant to the Weber's closed lid cooking method :cry:

If it can be shown other styles of cooking can be used with the 'closed lid' style of cooking, as used by the Weber, I will go there too :lol:

I've learnt so much and enjoyed my time here and think it will be unfortunate if this Aussie BBQ forum closes due to lack of patronage :cry:
titch

Post by titch »

Mainey . . . wrote::oops:

My only interest is in the Weber style of cooking with the lid closed, that's the only reason I've asked the question

Most non-Aussie BBQ forums do have heaps of other information, most not relevant to the Weber's closed lid cooking method :cry:

If it can be shown other styles of cooking can be used with the 'closed lid' style of cooking, as used by the Weber, I will go there too :lol:

I've learnt so much and enjoyed my time here and think it will be unfortunate if this Aussie BBQ forum closes due to lack of patronage :cry:
Join Micks forum and you will have access to everything Weber lid down
he has some brilliant mentors on site

Link is here
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Last edited by titch on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Titch
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

A bloke goes away again(can't the help myself no kids or animals) and on my return the ship has run a ground... :oops:

I going to hang around and post bits and pieces, not worried if no one ever reads them. I will put up a few pic's of our last trip to Pottsville just to keep my post count up Ha Ha Ha

Cheers l
cumagutsa

Post by cumagutsa »

So what is the best ozzy bbq forum?
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

Seems to be a choice of three from the posts above.

Everyone should be able to make their own decision if they check each one out and see what suits you best. Each has an activity count at the bottom.
Michael_Dunn

Post by Michael_Dunn »

> So what is the best ozzy bbq forum?

If you're prepared to search, this forum has all the info you could ever want.

Unfortunately, newer BBQ-ers are lazy S-O-B's, so they ask the same questions
that have been asked and answered numerous times previously.

It would be a shame to see all this info disappear into the ether.

Obviously, paulr (the forum owner) uses an oven.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Davo
You have done a great job trying to hold this forum together through all the adversity.
The unfortrunate thig is that PAULR doesnt appear to give a toss about the forum, he has fallen way behind with the behind the scenes admin and hasnt posted on the forum since the 20 April. That in itself displays his interest level. I can remember when the we (the ABBQA) approached him twice regarding taking over the forum and he refused point blank. I can also remember how he took the side of the vendors who were continuingly complaining that some of us senior forum members kept posting about their stealth marketing activities and used every opportunity to advertise their wares and we, the senior members, were banned, some of us permanently or for 12 months because we thought that they were destroying the forum.
Throughout this you were the one that kept a cool head. Well done for that.

It now looks as though the forum is dead in the water, there are a few members still posting but it is plain to see that the forum is going backwards. I do not have the Admin status on this forum any more so I cant see the total goings on.
I would like to help the forum be reserected to its former glory as it was when we first started and when became the Mod/Admin team but I would never do it whilst PAULR has anything to do with it whatsoever.

We helped many a novice to become an entusiastic BBQ'er, I see that my Gourmet Brined Chicken (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65) recipe has had over 86,970 hits which is a record for this forum. We offered advice and opinions on all manner of BBQ subjects which were greatly appreciated by all, which was the object of the forum until it was hijacked by the vendors.

So Davo my friend, i wish you well, you have stressed to the max it is now time to hang up the keyboard and walk away. For the forum to continue it needs enthusiastic members and PAULR to do his job and be moderator and admin, and I dont think that that will ever happen.

You and the members can always catch us at the Aussie Cue forum - http://aussiecue.dudeworld.com.au

Captain