Hark Pro Pit Offset Smoker tips please

All about smokers hot and cold
Fushandchups

Hark Pro Pit Offset Smoker tips please

Post by Fushandchups »

Have just purchased the new Hark. First test run went ok but a few of basic questions from a relatively newbie to smoking. Prior experience is using a kettle for about a year regularly.
1. I'm based in west Melbourne, best charcoal and supplier for my area?
2. Seemed to use a lot more fuel than my kettle did. Going to seal the doors. Anything else recommended?
3. Probe lead through door opening doesn't help leaks. Best way to get a digital probe access without being through doors?
4. Recommendations for best (effective and tidy) door gasket?
Thanks in advance.
Gumb

Re: Hark Pro Pit Offset Smoker tips please

Post by Gumb »

I've got the Hark tri-fire and don't use charcoal at all. I have a fire base of heat beads (maybe 10-20) and then put wood on top. Just like as normal fire, small sticks first, then build up but the biggest aren't large so the wood actually burns rather than smoulders.

There are lots of Youtube vids on offsets too. They are harder than the kettle to control but great fun. I'm out on the east side of Melbourne and get charcoal from Aussie BBQ smoke (see the forum vendors area)
Fushandchups

Post by Fushandchups »

Thanks Gumb
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Download the Tri Fire cooking guide I wrote for Hark earlier in the year....look on the Hark Website. Different unit, but all the fire techniques are the same.

Don't seal the doors, it doesn't need it, never try to trap smoke in the cooker, these things work on clean hot fire and the heat and air flowing through.

Probe wires will go through the doors, or drill a couple of holes where you need them.

I start a fire with a pile of lump charcoal the size of a 600ml milk, then add two bits of splintered wood 50-80mm dia, that's enough. This small hot fire will sit the Pro Pit on 107°C (225°F). Keep a small red hot fire like this, the timber must catch on fire quickly and not smoulder, if you can see smoke in the exhaust your fire is not hot enough. SMALL HOT FIRE is the key! If my coal base is dwindling because I wasn't paying attention, I'll add a couple of Redhead Robot Turds to get a good hot coalbase back.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Fushandchups

Post by Fushandchups »

Thanks for the tips
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

urbangriller wrote:I start a fire with a pile of lump charcoal the size of a 600ml milk, then add two bits of splintered wood 50-80mm dia, that's enough. This small hot fire will sit the Pro Pit on 107°C (225°F). Keep a small red hot fire like this, the timber must catch on fire quickly and not smoulder, if you can see smoke in the exhaust your fire is not hot enough. SMALL HOT FIRE is the key! If my coal base is dwindling because I wasn't paying attention, I'll add a couple of Redhead Robot Turds to get a good hot coalbase back.
This is exactly how I use mine... I dicked around with beads and lump early on, but found the temp spikes were all over the place, so I just make a base of lump, and dump a chimney of lump onto it, after then it's all wood. I use redgum mainly as it's readily accessible, but i've also got a reasonable collection of crabapple and some apricot from trees i've dropped at home.

As far as mods go, i've had to use the angle grinder to split the steel tube that acts as the hinge on top of the firebox, mine warped pretty badly and with the salt air at my place it's got some surface rust in the hinges despite being covered when not in use... I had to load it up with WD40 the night before every cook just to be able to open the firebox top.

I'm also planning on making an external gasket from 2mm steel for the firebox door (vented one), as there is a considerable gap around the edges... but my lack of motivation (new baby) is getting in the way.
Percel

Post by Percel »

Thanks Gumb, got anymore hot tips?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Percel wrote:Thanks Gumb, got anymore hot tips?
Gumb has moved to the new forum.

Regards
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!